Liquid Gold - 2014
Nov 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #496 of 808
Nov 15, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #497 of 808
Hi Guys!  
smile.gif

I just wanted to mention that there is a very small handful of final edition Liquid Golds remaining from our last production run.  If you are interested in picking up one of these before they are all gone, please see our dealers page, or contact us directly at info@cavalliaudio.com for assistance.

Does anyone know what kind of potentiometer is inside. Thanks.

For the Liquid Gold, we use custom-built pots from TKD (Tokyo Ko-On Denpa).  
smile.gif

Updated the review with Utopia and HE-6.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cavalli-audio-liquid-gold/reviews/17327

Enjoy ^^ 

Thanks for the update!  Looks like we agree on the LAu + Utopia pairing:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-review-preview-with-measurements-head-fi-tv/540#post_12664561

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #499 of 808
The pot in this amp is the best I have ever used. Totally quiet and the degree of volume control it exacts, particularly at low volumes, is nothing short of exceptional.

Edit: amp

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #500 of 808
My Liquid Gold just arrived. Right from the start I am amazed by the power and authority of the sound. My Utopia never sounded so good, and I am at low gain and the volume knob is hardly at 8 o'çlock. Will enjoy this while I burn this baby in.

My question to the fellow owners is do you elevate your LAu above the table, or do you install a base underneath your LAu? I am asking because my LAu sat very low on my table and I wanted to have better airflow and heat dissipation. Any advice?

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #501 of 808
  My Liquid Gold just arrived. Right from the start I am amazed by the power and authority of the sound. My Utopia never sounded so good, and I am at low gain and the volume knob is hardly at 8 o'çlock. Will enjoy this while I burn this baby in.

My question to the fellow owners is do you elevate your LAu above the table, or do you install a base underneath your LAu? I am asking because my LAu sat very low on my table and I wanted to have better airflow and heat dissipation. Any advice?

Good question.  I am looking into the same thing.  

Found this on Mono and Stereo High-End site that looks interesting and the medium base looks perfect for the Gold:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/11/bfly-audio-basetwo-and-powerbase.html#more

They make a new "Powerbase" which I don't think we need but are offering a discount on it for options I don't think are necessary and then a Base2 Pro in medium size that looks like the ticket for the Liquid Gold.  

http://www.bfly-audio.de/produkte/produkte-geraetebasis/basetwo.html

I too am loving this amp.  Really impressive!

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #502 of 808
I could use some advice from you fellow LAu owners.

So - I find my pairing of LAu with HD800 (Super Dupont mod) to be pretty much perfect for my primary musical taste of orchestral classical music. In fact, I would extend this to include all well-recorded acoustic music.

What I could use advice on is a second pair of headphones to use with the LAu that are more forgiving of other genres like progressive rock, classic rock and suboptimal recordings. On the HD800 (even with the mod, and my careful pairing of electronics and cables), these can sound unbearably harsh and thin.

Any recommendations under $2k, say?

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #503 of 808

So - I find my pairing of LAu with HD800 (Super Dupont mod) to be pretty much perfect for my primary musical taste of orchestral classical music. In fact, I would extend this to include all well-recorded acoustic music.

What I could use advice on is a second pair of headphones to use with the LAu that are more forgiving of other genres like progressive rock, classic rock and suboptimal recordings. On the HD800 (even with the mod, and my careful pairing of electronics and cables), these can sound unbearably harsh and thin.

My go to with the Lau is the LCD-X.  In my opinion the best of the Audeze line.

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #504 of 808
  My go to with the Lau is the LCD-X.  In my opinion the best of the Audeze line.

I find the LCD-X, and Audeze's in general, to be unbearably heavy and closed in. Just my preference, I guess. Probably why I like the HD800's so much. They're the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried or owned.

I have my eye on the Focal Elear, and am on TTVJ's loaner list, so I should have a chance to audition them in a few weeks.

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #505 of 808

warrenpchi

Any thoughts? Did you ever post a review of the Elear with the Cavalli LAu?

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #506 of 808
Anyone any idea the "Final Edition" starts with which serial number?

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #507 of 808

Just powered everything up for the 1st time. Holy crap! Like you say volume knob is hardly at 8 o'clock, gain on low setting and its quite loud really.
atsmile.gif

Setup = 2Qute > LAu > Ether Flow Open

All the above is basically OOTB, the Ethers have approx. 24 hours on them already. I assume its because of the 3v output from Qute and EF are easy to drive. Wow!

Regarding airflow/ventilation, my LAu sits on the top shelf of my rack but this sits underneath my desk so there is a ceiling so-to-speak of only 100mm clearance. However, there are no restrictions to the sides, front or back so I will monitor the situation later after a good 3-4 hours of continual playing.

I love the boot-up sequence of the LAu. Very assuring that its testing all of its circuits before we can press PLAY
biggrin.gif

I think this is going to be something special
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #508 of 808

Regarding airflow/ventilation, my LAu sits on the top shelf of my rack but this sits underneath my desk so there is a ceiling so-to-speak of only 100mm clearance. However, there are no restrictions to the sides, front or back so I will monitor the situation later after a good 3-4 hours of continual playing.

If it seems to get hot in there, I'd recommend installing one of these small fans: http://amzn.to/2gkrYqL

They are quite quiet and work of a USB ac adapter. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #509 of 808

If it seems to get hot in there, I'd recommend installing one of these small fans: http://amzn.to/2gkrYqL

They are quite quiet and work of a USB ac adapter. 

Exactly what I use! I have Goldie up on isolation feet that elevate her about an inch, and with one of these fans behind she stays nice and cool. Cheers 

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #510 of 808
  Exactly what I use! I have Goldie up on isolation feet that elevate her about an inch, and with one of these fans behind she stays nice and cool. Cheers 

I think I originally found out about that fan from one of your posts, so thanks for the info.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back