Liquid dubstep, drum and bass, chillstep, drumstep
Dec 18, 2011 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jungkyu

New Head-Fier
i listen to genres like liquid dubstep and drum and bass which are all sort of similar in terms of ~chilll~
I need headphones that around in the 100-150$ range and that sound good in the genres above. good = everything sounds clear, bass is not overwhelming but there. i have a small to medium sized head and ears and i want something that would be really comfortable too. I tried the vmoda crossfades LP's @ the apple store and i forgot what they sound like but i know that they were amazingly comfortable. so something in that comfort zone is good. I was actually thinking of buying the crossfades just because they were so comfortable but idk just yet. (will the crosssfades satisfy me?)

Headphones I've considered so far:
V-Moda Crossfades LP
ATH M50
Ultrasone 580 or 680 or 780 (They all go for the same price on amazon so i have no idea whats going on)

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo can somebody help me find headphones? THANKS :)

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 21
How about ATH-M50? 

I used listen to the same genres on some DT770 80ohms. They sound great. Amp is worth it tho. fFor some reason they're not very popular on this site.

I'd steer clear of ultrasone unless you like piercing highs.

Got any recommendations within those genres? I seem to have lost touch with the lush liquid dnb that was coming out a few years back.

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
Got any recommendations within those genres? I seem to have lost touch with the lush liquid dnb that was coming out a few years back.

Well a couple tracks that i listen to would be:
Anticipate (feat. Sam Frank) (Netsky Remix)
B-Complex - Beautiful Lies VIP
Credit - Elements
Influential Past
Mirrors (Arion Dubstep Remix)
Take me away - Freemind
Feel (Feat. Truth)
The World (ft. Lena Cullen)

Just look em up on youtube and you'll find them :)
Oh yeah if you're gonna listen to these tracks and you own either the m50's or the 580's can you test em out on these tracks and give me feedback?

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 21
Oh yeah just wondering is there any significant differences between the dt770 normal and pro version? and ohm versions. cuz the dt770's kinda factor into what i want to buy also. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
Oh yeah just wondering is there any significant differences between the dt770 normal and pro version? and ohm versions. cuz the dt770's kinda factor into what i want to buy also. 

normal dont have alot of bass. the pro have crazy amounts of bass.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 21
Ultrasone HFI-780 for good mid range and good presence.
Ultrasone HFI-580 for so-so mid range and extra bass presence.
Sony XB500 for weak mid range and over-the-top bass presence.

I used to have HFI-780 for Dubstep and replaced them with Sony XB500 which I EQ, I find the genre all poorly recorded and needs a heavily colored phone.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 21
so im down to dt770s vs the m50s. Im completely stuck as they are close to the same price range. Money probably wouldnt be a problem for me so which ones would be better for liquid dubstep? Also, are the velour pads comfortable? i kind of want to try the velour pads but idk how comfy they are compared to the pads on the m50's. 
help me~~

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 21
Listened to B-Complex - Beautiful Lies VIP (which I'm somewhat familiar) on sennheiser hd558 which are my main headphones and I listen to pretty much all electronic and chill.  Maybe it's that video because the bass seems a little muddy which I've never really had with these.  I just bought a dt770 pro 80 yesterday and I should receive it sometime towards the end of the week if you wait I can at least give another opinion on that.  Although these are used so they'll be post burn-in.  Not sure if beyerdynamics really need burn in like other headphones.

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
so im down to dt770s vs the m50s. Im completely stuck as they are close to the same price range. Money probably wouldnt be a problem for me so which ones would be better for liquid dubstep? Also, are the velour pads comfortable? i kind of want to try the velour pads but idk how comfy they are compared to the pads on the m50's. 
help me~~

Velour pads are on their own level. You won't be disappointed. In my opinion M50 is pretty much a piece of plastic and pretty uncomfy.

I suggest taking DT770's.

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
 I find the genre all poorly recorded and needs a heavily colored phone.

unfortunately this is true. some songs are almost unbearable on the pro 900s due to their revealing nature.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Listened to B-Complex - Beautiful Lies VIP (which I'm somewhat familiar) on sennheiser hd558 which are my main headphones and I listen to pretty much all electronic and chill.  Maybe it's that video because the bass seems a little muddy which I've never really had with these.  I just bought a dt770 pro 80 yesterday and I should receive it sometime towards the end of the week if you wait I can at least give another opinion on that.  Although these are used so they'll be post burn-in.  Not sure if beyerdynamics really need burn in like other headphones.

OK I just got the DT770/80 today... While it's still a little muddy than I remember it definately has better quality bass than the HD558.  But 5 minutes of searching would turn up the same information.  Comfort level is top notch, again that's a common response to these. 

I then pulled up Emalkay - The World and it sounds pretty good on these.  I would definately pick the DT770 over the HD558 for this genre.

So yeah, I think the DT770 pro 80 would be a good choice for it's top comfort and awesome bass.  I have no experience with the M50 but the DT770 just feels really comfortable.

For some disclosure I am listening to this through an astro mixamp and is connected to computer via optical.  So not sure if playing straight from a laptop will affect it any.  80ohms still isn't bad for equipment to drive.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #15 of 21
I'm feeling old, only just recently even heard of this new genre "dubstep" and now they have all these sub-genres when I'm still just figuring out what dubstep is in the first place. Listened to some random stuff on youtube which was either some light remixes or just random techno sounding stuff like someone was stoned and playing with a synthesizer. I'll stick with my music that has a cohesive emotional narrative and actual lyrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back