Linux users: What audio software do you use?
Jan 14, 2009 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thoughtcriminal

100+ Head-Fier
Just made a full switch over to linux. Running Xubuntu 8.10 64.
i'm amazed at all the great audio programs available to me under this OS

For listening, I'm really liking Listen Music Player. Its simple, minimalistic, and intuitive.

For editing, I'm still using Audacity. I love that program.

For transferring my music to my DAP, I use Gnomad2. This program is awesome! Zen/Nomad users, its worth making the switch to linux just to use this one piece of software

For my composing, I'm having a hard time deciding between Rosegarden and MusE. Also, one of these days I will figure out how to get Hydrogen Drum Machine working in 64 bit.

I haven't landed on a ripping software yet, as I haven't had to rip any cds.

So, linux based head-fiers: What software do you have in your arsenal?

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 5
1st: Wrong section to post this. Should be posted in the "Computer Audio" section.
2nd: There's so many thread on this in that section mentioned. Please use the "Search" function. If you don't know where that is, it's on the top-right of Head-fi.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 5
Amarok with the xine lib is very good for my needs. Plain and simple app that has a working library with the detection of Various artist albums.

Quote:

For transferring my music to my DAC, I use Gnomad2. This program is awesome! Zen/Nomad users, its worth making the switch to linux just to use this one piece of software

You must mean DAP. :p

Quote:

I haven't landed on a ripping software yet, as I haven't had to rip any cds.

Check rubyripper that uses cdparanoia as the rip engine. The gui has got CDDB support and is plain and simple. Does like EAC, rips every track twice and compares them. I've used also EAC with wine succesfully.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Quod Libet
Amarok
Banshee
Exaile
Songbird
Foobar

+many more

As you can see, I haven't decided yet. Foobar is by far the best media player for windows, but I can't get the sound to work right under Ubuntu. Amarok and Exaile are standing out right now and get the most use because they allow me to view my music from a folder structure. But they can't organzie the playlist to be as easy to read as Foobar. And the folder view's are no where near as easy as Foobar's. I don't think they can do anything better than Foobar*, and they all have many faults.

Yes, I miss Foobar
frown.gif

*Except maybe being able to grab album art. But even those are too automatic, and I prefer to get my own to make sure it is right/good quality.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 5
If you want to have files managed as they are in the file system, I suggest MPD with a nice, graphical client for it. Most MPD clients are file system based-.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back