Linux users unite!
Nov 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #46 of 481
Quote:
Debian user here.  Tried Openbox a while back and didn't really like the way it feels, will give it another try later. Currently using GNOME and Xfce4. Anyone know a good font? Using FreeSans right now. Heard Freetype is good.

Always stuck with Dejavu Sans Mono and Consolas. Sometimes Liberation. Make sure to patch your freetype with Infinality, makes all the difference.

Used to run Debian on the desktop machine, then realized I could get the exact same desktop, and with more frequent spotential security updates and just having to deal with a simpler package manager, with a simple Arch install. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #47 of 481
Quote:
Always stuck with Dejavu Sans Mono and Consolas. Sometimes Liberation. Make sure to patch your freetype with Infinality, makes all the difference.

I'm using Dejavu Sans Mono for my terminal, but the mono font looks a bit spaced out for other purposes.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #48 of 481
Quote:

I'm using Dejavu Sans Mono for my terminal, but the mono font looks a bit spaced out for other purposes.

Dejavu looks decent across the board. I actually can't stand it on the terminal, since it seems a bit too round, and that feeling messes with my work flow 
tongue.gif
. Had to tune infinality to get it to not suck horribly though. Can't imagine a better system font!

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #49 of 481
Quote:

Dejavu looks decent across the board. I actually can't stand it on the terminal, since it seems a bit too round, and that feeling messes with my work flow 
tongue.gif
. Had to tune infinality to get it to not suck horribly though. Can't imagine a better system font!

From what I see, thats Dejavu Sans, not Dejavu Sans Mono. But I agree its a good font overall.
Source Sans is also nice.

You're using Gnome 3?

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #50 of 481
Quote:
From what I see, thats Dejavu Sans, not Dejavu Sans Mono. But I agree its a good font overall.
Source Sans is also nice.

You're using Gnome 3?

Huh, guess mono's my xterm font...whoops. Yeah, it is Sans. Source Sans is very good. 

No, just DWM. Can't get used to floating windows anymore. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #51 of 481
Quote:

No, just DWM. Can't get used to floating windows anymore. 

In some ways I agree with you. Its much more comfortable to be able to use the keyboard most of the time, they're really good for working,  and these WMs are fast.

I have openbox on my laptop to keep things light, but I use KDE on my desktop because hardware wise its pretty capable.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #52 of 481
Quote:
In some ways I agree with you. Its much more comfortable to be able to use the keyboard most of the time, they're really good for working,  and these WMs are fast. 

I have openbox on my laptop to keep things light, but I use KDE on my desktop because hardware wise its pretty capable.

KDE is fantastic; functional, configurable, and oh so pretty. Desktop integration is one of the best implementations I've seen. It's what spurred me to try and learn Qt, that uniform look.

Most of the apps I actually use is GTK based, so I have to stick with XFCE on the desktop for the prettier integration. Every DE I touch seems to magically transform into something based on the keyboard though. Currently trying MonsterWM on a VM, but I think I may have to stick with dwm. It just feels minimal, but not for the sake of being as minimal as possible. i3, xmonad, and spectwm are just so fun to mess with as well! 

Has anyone actually tried Steam for Linux? Had to replace an old machine with a decent rig (first time having modern, up-to-date hardware in years) so maybe I'll try that gaming thing again. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #53 of 481
Quote:
KDE is fantastic; functional, configurable, and oh so pretty. Desktop integration is one of the best implementations I've seen. It's what spurred me to try and learn Qt, that uniform look.

Most of the apps I actually use is GTK based, so I have to stick with XFCE on the desktop for the prettier integration. Every DE I touch seems to magically transform into something based on the keyboard though. Currently trying MonsterWM on a VM, but I think I may have to stick with dwm. It just feels minimal, but not for the sake of being as minimal as possible. i3, xmonad, and spectwm are just so fun to mess with as well! 

Has anyone actually tried Steam for Linux? Had to replace an old machine with a decent rig (first time having modern, up-to-date hardware in years) so maybe I'll try that gaming thing again. 

I guess mal works well for laptops, especially if you don't want to carry a mouse around. 
I haven't tried Steam on it, seems there's no game currently I'd like to play with Steam. I'm mostly into racing sims, and thats the only reason I dual boot windows at home.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #54 of 481
I haven't tried steam either but I have played some modern 3D games in Ubuntu and they do run much better than in Windows if you have a lower powered computer.  Unfortunantely there are just not that many games yet but it has come a long way in the last couple of years so Steam should really push it even further.  Does anyone know how hard it would be for a company to port a game from mac to linux?  I feel like the two are similiar enough that it might not be to hard and could be within reason for companies to do.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #55 of 481
Quote:
Does anyone know how hard it would be for a company to port a game from mac to linux?  I feel like the two are similiar enough that it might not be to hard and could be within reason for companies to do.

I'm totally not familiar with Macs, but if they follow OpenGL or some other common implementation then it should be easier.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #59 of 481
Quote:

How's the visual integration like? I mean, what kind of widget toolkit does crunchbang use?  The last time I tried it, it looked best with GTK+.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #60 of 481
Quote:
How's the visual integration like? I mean, what kind of widget toolkit does crunchbang use?  The last time I tried it, it looked best with GTK+.

I'm not sure what you meant by that exactly, but tint2 and conky (the top taskbar and the system monitor software) are very customisable. I just kept it in a greyish color, but people have made rounded green taskbars and whatever before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back