Linux users rally
Jan 1, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #76 of 93
Wow hello, old thread! I posted on the first page a bit about my journey, but as of about a year or so I think now, I've been using exclusively Arch Linux on the server, desktop, and laptop. I'm a total convert.

It's just about exactly what I want from my linux. Start with the bare minimum of software and install exactly what you want. And most installs are from binary, so you don't have to wait ages to compile (like Gentoo). If something isn't in the repositories, it's mega simple to generate your own package. Everything is as simple as possible, so the distro definitely favors RTFMing and editing config files over GUIs, but some of us prefer this minimalist approach.

And I generally have far fewer issues with it vs the years I ran Gentoo.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #78 of 93
I have an old HP LaserJet 1000 printer that hates my Windows 7 64-bit. Thus I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on netbook serving as my print station. Love the amazing compatibility with old hardware! Now if I can figure out how to run minecraft on Ubuntu...

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #80 of 93

Quote:
Go team ubuntu!!!

Ubuntu is awesome! No viruses, open-source software, and ultimately freedom from the dreaded closed source stuff. I have Ubuntu 10.04 running on both my EEE 1000 netbook and my desktop pc and never looked back.

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #81 of 93

Quote:
Quote:
Go team ubuntu!!!

Ubuntu is awesome! No viruses, open-source software, and ultimately freedom from the dreaded closed source stuff. I have Ubuntu 10.04 running on both my EEE 1000 netbook and my desktop pc and never looked back.

You ever tried Maverick? Some folks over at UF say that Lucid has some better compatibility (less bugs) than Maverick.
Also, if you happen to have nVidia cards (raises hand), you still need a restricted driver to get it working. Nouveau won't work.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #83 of 93

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Go team ubuntu!!!

You ever tried Maverick? Some folks over at UF say that Lucid has some better compatibility (less bugs) than Maverick.
Also, if you happen to have nVidia cards (raises hand), you still need a restricted driver to get it working. Nouveau won't work.

I have not yet tried Maverick, but am eager to. I am currently running Lucid because it's an LTS edition, but if Maverick is pretty stable now it might make sense for me to upgrade. I do have an nVidia card in my desktop pc. I'm not sure what kind of driver I installed to get it up and running in Lucid... I sure hope its open source! One feature that intrigues me now is the tablet pc multitouch interface of Maverick I have heard of. I inherited my dad's old Fujitsu Lifebook P1120 and it has a touchscreen, and I wonder how it would run on that. It's rather puny as far as specs go, with its tiny little 800mhz Via processor of yesteryear, but perhaps I'll try it someday, as long as it doesn't freak out the processor like many linux distros have done to the poor machine before. 3602 and others, how have you found Maverick for speed, relative to Lucid? Lucid runs very smoothly on my EEE, but I feel a few more speed tweaks to the OS would be nice from time to time.

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #84 of 93
I have VMWare Workstation 7.1 for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have a few virtual machines including two separate ones for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and 10.10. Performance wise, they are identical except if you decide to run the new tablet user interface or Unite for netbooks. Those two new features for Ubuntu 10.10 are still in development phase and the number of supported CPUs and GPUs are limited to integrated hardware options. They are buggy to use, but support is good with patches forthcoming on an almost nightly build basis. In terms of the desktop user interface, nothing much has changed and it is stable and fast if your hardware supports it.

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #85 of 93

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Go team ubuntu!!!

I have not yet tried Maverick, but am eager to. I am currently running Lucid because it's an LTS edition, but if Maverick is pretty stable now it might make sense for me to upgrade. I do have an nVidia card in my desktop pc. I'm not sure what kind of driver I installed to get it up and running in Lucid... I sure hope its open source! One feature that intrigues me now is the tablet pc multitouch interface of Maverick I have heard of. I inherited my dad's old Fujitsu Lifebook P1120 and it has a touchscreen, and I wonder how it would run on that. It's rather puny as far as specs go, with its tiny little 800mhz Via processor of yesteryear, but perhaps I'll try it someday, as long as it doesn't freak out the processor like many linux distros have done to the poor machine before. 3602 and others, how have you found Maverick for speed, relative to Lucid? Lucid runs very smoothly on my EEE, but I feel a few more speed tweaks to the OS would be nice from time to time.

Nah, I used Jaunty back then, then sold my computer, then got a new one and installed Maverick straight. Folk over at UF say that if you are the unlucky type when it comes to computer probs, you're better off with Lucid. So I can't say anything about the speed, but Maverick is about as fast as Jaunty, from memory. Jaunty back then was installed on a computer with Celeron-M and 512MB of RAM, so...

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #86 of 93
Yeah, maybe I'll stick with Lucid for now for stability. Celeron-M, I'm sure you're pretty glad you upgraded to something better!
smile.gif
Granted, that's about a netbook-spec processor in the speed department and that's one of the things that irks me most about my netbook - the speed. Thanks for the input!

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #87 of 93
Celeron-M was as fast as today's Atom? Wow. Tech sure is fast (uh, as in development).
Now I'm ridin' smooth on an i3-370M, which has 2 cores but Ubuntu says it has 4. Only gripe is that nVIDIA Optimus doesn't work on Linux.

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #88 of 93
I have the same exact problem. nVIDIA Optimus is a no show for GNU/Linux on my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC. nVIDIA has no plans on releasing a driver for GNU/Linux to support Optimus technology in the near future either.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #89 of 93
Ubuntu 10.10 user here. on an HP G60 laptop.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #90 of 93
Looks like Ubuntu is quite popular. I only run VMware image on top of XP for day job's notebook (stock with XP there). Ubuntu on two of now 4 servers for my business. The two others are Windows 2003 server. All 4 servers super stable. Its a mix of two Dell Poweredge 1650 and two 1750 boxes. In a now delayed consolidation phase in to two 1750s with Ubuntu / VMware server running 3 images on each of the two boxes. Next phase after that is moving some of the websites in to the cloud once I get the cluster setup on the cloud. My home workstation and kids notebook at home are also waiting to get converted in to Ubuntu when I find the time. Wife got converted to iPad
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back