Linux users rally
Jun 8, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #46 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
despised Amarok 2

Have to say I am not a fan of Amarok 2 either ... maybe I need more time with it.

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #47 of 93
Hi everyone my first post on headfi......using Linux Mint Elyssa.
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #48 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have to say I am not a fan of Amarok 2 either ... maybe I need more time with it.

I loved Amarok 1.x. Amarok 2 is a JOKE -- the blasted thing can't even play audio CDs (developers' excuse: no one in the team plays audio CDs anymore. If we are to implement the "play audio CD" function we'd just rip your CD and play the files. So, why don't you just rip the CD yourself, and then use Amarok to play the files?). Luckily I can use Kaffeine to play CDs, without having to rip them first.

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #50 of 93
Arch (64-bit on desktop, 32-bit on notebook)

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #51 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loved Amarok 1.x. Amarok 2 is a JOKE -- the blasted thing can't even play audio CDs (developers' excuse: no one in the team plays audio CDs anymore. If we are to implement the "play audio CD" function we'd just rip your CD and play the files. So, why don't you just rip the CD yourself, and then use Amarok to play the files?). Luckily I can use Kaffeine to play CDs, without having to rip them first.

Is there any way to "downgrade" back to Amarok 1.x ? I am relatively inexperienced with Linux in general ...

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #52 of 93
Good thing Gentoo doesn't have Amarok 2 in upgrades as of yet. And even if it did, I can choose not to upgrade for some time.

On the other hand, the Amarok 1.4 likes to rebel against me. Certain flac albums like to skip like 30 seconds into the song if I play them continuously. Thus I switched to MPD.

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #54 of 93
Dual booting Vista and Ubuntu 9.04

Just tried it a few weeks ago but find myself using Windows a lot still for when I have to do things in a hurry, cause I still have no idea how to work with Linux ):

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #55 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any way to "downgrade" back to Amarok 1.x ? I am relatively inexperienced with Linux in general ...

This was one of the first things I saw, [kubuntu] amarok 1.x backport? - Ubuntu Forums. It should work with anything running apt.

I might be able to build a .deb file for you too if you tell me which arch you're running.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #56 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was one of the first things I saw, [kubuntu] amarok 1.x backport? - Ubuntu Forums. It should work with anything running apt.

I might be able to build a .deb file for you too if you tell me which arch you're running.

Thanks. Took a look at the page from the link and will give it a shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #57 of 93
I've got an ubuntu box at work for some php/mysql work and other things. It's nice to use occasionally because our web server is running a similar configuration, and I really enjoy being able to noodle around in mysql on my own dev server.

I also use backtrack a lot... lots of really useful tools in there. Lastly, I really really like DSL for lower power hardware. You can use it to rescue just about any computer with a USB port or CD-ROM.

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #58 of 93
I'm relatively platform agnostic. Gentoo at work (With XP, Windows 7, and Vista virtual machines), Ubuntu on netbook, Ubuntu/XP on desktop at home, Debian on server at home, OSX on Macbook as main home machine, and I have an MSDN developers license for work.

I'm a linux guy forced to use Windows for some development work and who happened to buy a Mac since the PC laptops all sucked...

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #59 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ETA - I've just seen that Amarok 2.1 has been released, and is supposed to be much improved in terms of usability.

I'm really annoyed with it. 1.4, I ran in a window approximately 1/5th the size of my screen. It was exceptionally easy to navigate and perfectly functional. It was the pick of the players at the time(a few years back), and is very familiar to me.

I understand their reasons for wishing to do a ground-up rewrite - that's fair enough. But the UI is totally different, and needs to be hugely larger than the footprint for 1.4. For me, the middle panel is dead space, and can't be removed. I care little for lyrics.

It can't cope with various-artists albums, throwing them into separate categories for each artist. One time, I just couldn't get it to take in more than ~15% of my music collection(it wasn't a codec issue, or anything like that).

What really got me was... I'm experiencing a delay in volume transition. If I changed it from 10% to 25%, it would take - in all seriousness - 3-4 seconds to adjust.

Much like KDE4, it was released too soon. It lacked important features, absolutely everything was changed, and it was buggy.

Why are they forcing us away from a perfectly working interface, to something totally indifferent from the majority of other players? Would it have been so hard to have two interfaces, or skins? I want a big window with the tracks I've got lined up to play, a collection browser on the left, that I can swap for "content" window to see album art, my most-played tracks by the artist, and other albums in case I fancy continuing my music journey on a familiar path. I want the music control buttons at the bottom, and moveable along the pane. You know what I want? The proven interface that has worked for years now. Amarok was one of the killer-apps on KDE for me. I'm no fan of KDE4, and I despise Amarok 2. I'd learn to find my way around KDE4 now it's somewhat more stable, but Amarok 2 is unfriendly, unintuitive, and just wrong for me. I'm shafted now...
frown.gif

I dare say the Amarok team are doing a fantastic job with the rewrite. But I consider it shameful to change the interface beyond all recognition. And when Googling to try and address the issues I faced, there seemed to be plenty of people who had a similar opinion to mine...

Sorry for going off-topic.
frown.gif

~Phewl.

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #60 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm relatively platform agnostic. Gentoo at work (With XP, Windows 7, and Vista virtual machines), Ubuntu on netbook, Ubuntu/XP on desktop at home, Debian on server at home, OSX on Macbook as main home machine, and I have an MSDN developers license for work.

I'm a linux guy forced to use Windows for some development work and who happened to buy a Mac since the PC laptops all sucked...

Damn you have A LOT of machines. I wish I could be agnostic too but only if I like triple or quadruple or quintuple booted or something
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back