Linux users rally
Jun 6, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #31 of 93
Slackware before, shifted to Ubuntu. Now on 9.04
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #33 of 93
I've been using Linux since the mid 90's. I have bounced around between distributions but I've settled on Ubuntu these days because of the 6 month release cycle. I was a big Debian fan before that, but I get Debian stability mostly and awesome package management so I'm pleased. I also run OS X and when I have to...I mean really have to, I'll boot into some variety of Windows. These days XP SP3 or Vista Ultimate or now 7.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #35 of 93
Kubuntu 9.04 on work laptop ... I can't stand Gnome..and I can't stand openSUSE
tongue.gif

Puppy linux on junk VIA laptop

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #36 of 93
I have Slax around, just in case...
Mac OS X allow me to run most *nix applications though, so I rarely use it.

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #37 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Slax around, just in case...
Mac OS X allow me to run most *nix applications though, so I rarely use it.

Which ones don't work for you? Also, there are several apps that are OS X only that I rely on quite a bit in my daily work.

Better on Linux:
MATLAB
python

Comparable programs better on Mac:
Skim
BibDesk

For me, Linux is in a sense a better option than Mac, since the first two programs demand performance, while the latter two are really just convenient.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #39 of 93
Dipped in Linux when Fedora Core 4 was a nice system to try about. After that, I installed Gentoo on every computer I have and have been happily living ever since. Sometimes gentoo tries to slow me down with unneccessary things (or do I know if they are unneccessary) and compiling stuff, but in the end I always have preferred the Gentoo way of doing things. Debian is too "old" of its packages and Ubuntu is too Windows-ish.

I was a Windows-fancier but always trying to do things faster, more efficiently. When I realized how beautifully UNIX and Linux can integrate the GUI and CLI, I was sold. This was before Vista and its Powershell so I haven't got a chance to try that in everyday use. But now I wouldn't pay $$$ for some OS that has only a chance of being better and still limiting the life at other sections. This is just perfect.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #40 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which ones don't work for you?

GUI applications like:
* Amarok
* K3b

Most command line applications compile and execute just fine.
smile.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #41 of 93
Started using linux when debian etch went stable. Currently running Debian lenny, I'll probably switch to squeeze(the current testing version) in a year or so.

I've tried a few other distros such as arch and opensuse. I just really like debian's package management and myriad of software in the repositories...it brings me back every time.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #42 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dipped in Linux when Fedora Core 4 was a nice system to try about. After that, I installed Gentoo on every computer I have and have been happily living ever since. Sometimes gentoo tries to slow me down with unneccessary things (or do I know if they are unneccessary) and compiling stuff, but in the end I always have preferred the Gentoo way of doing things. Debian is too "old" of its packages and Ubuntu is too Windows-ish.

Then customize it to how you want it. Ubuntu is just a customized version of Debian and can be as powerful or Window-ish as you want it. I choose Ubuntu because it is supported well compared to some other distros.

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #43 of 93
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 8.04.2
Release: 8.04
Codename: hardy

Though technically, it's Kubuntu.

"Upgraded" to 9.04 - wasn't keen on KDE4, despised Amarok 2, and had random hard locks with nothing in the logs to trace. Searched the forums, found others were having similar problems, but nobody was looking at fixing it. Dropped back to 8.04...

Laptop may even be 7.10...

Am annoyed they dropped support for KDE3.5 so quickly. There should have been releases of both versions until KDE4.3 was released. Will likely swap over to Gentoo in the next few weeks, or head over to FreeBSD.

~Phewl.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #44 of 93
Had Yellow Dog Linux (which I beieve is a Fedora distro) on my PS3, but due to lack of HDD space and the fact that I barely used it because of the absence of flash on the browser, I erased it.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #45 of 93
I've been an Arch Linux user for some time. I use Arch for my desktop, laptop and MythTV server. I prefer a rolling release distro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back