Linux + USB DAC - need suggestions for setting this all up
Sep 30, 2007 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

krc2

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I recently got ahold of an HP TX1000 tablet PC and I was hoping to turn it into my media machine (lots of ram, dual core, compact)

But there was one big problem...
IT CAME WITH VISTA

I have tried and tried but I hate Vista a lot.

Solution: Linux.
Im going to put Linux on this machine, but how to get the best audio?

I have a USB DAC going into my Headphonia mini-amp.
Suggestions on a setup to get the best sound? I was happy with Foobar on the windows machines
I think the TX1000 has realtek drivers for sound

any help appreciated!

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by krc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone,

I recently got ahold of an HP TX1000 tablet PC and I was hoping to turn it into my media machine (lots of ram, dual core, compact)

But there was one big problem...
IT CAME WITH VISTA

I have tried and tried but I hate Vista a lot.

Solution: Linux.
Im going to put Linux on this machine, but how to get the best audio?

I have a USB DAC going into my Headphonia mini-amp.
Suggestions on a setup to get the best sound? I was happy with Foobar on the windows machines
I think the TX1000 has realtek drivers for sound

any help appreciated!

Configuration tends to be very hardware specific - most distros will configure audio card by default, but you might have to tweak some settings if you want to use digital out for example. I use AV710 spdif out bit perfect to a dac and it works great. For audio player I use mpd/sonata - I used to love foobar as well, now I don't miss it anymore. I need to use several different apps to be able to do what foobar did for me in windows - but that's OK, since I started using Linux the one app per functionality approach actually makes a lot of sense to me.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll try to help if I can.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 4
I use Fedora Core 6 on my computer. It was really easy to set up and when I got my Super Pro USB DAC I just had to plug it in and select it as sound card. I think that it's plug and play with most USB DACs. I use Amarok as media player.

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 4
slightly off topic

I have been using OpenBSD on my pc and it is happily playing music with VLC or Kaffeine through USB connection to my:

Apogee mini-dac or Meier Corda Move or Edirol UA-5

The DACs are automatically recognised when attached and are ready to play instantly.

The only quirk I've come across is that my USB dacs' have a 44.1 KHz default minimum rate of play so if I send anything less than this (8KHz text to speech files for example) I get highly accelerated playback and pitch. This is easy to workaround with simply upsampling any 8KHz audio prior to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back