Linux / Ubuntu, anyone?
Dec 20, 2009 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Edoardo

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'd LOVE to use an UbuntuStudio-driven notebook as a source, but cannot find the drivers of any decent external souncard or DAC I know.

So I'm looking for a DAC or either a sound card firewire/USB 2.0 to optical/coaxial converter, price below 500€, that works with UbuntuStudio...

Does it exist?

Thank you...
k701smile.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 4
The Alsa project has a list of supported sound cards:
supported sound card list
FFADO has a list of firewire sound interfaces it works with here:
firewire sound device info

Other than that, you can do a search on your desired dac/sound card and "Linux" as the search terms and see if anyone reports that it works.
I do a lot of DIY, so I don't have any commercial dacs, but anything using a 270x dac chip should work. I use an Echo Gina 3G interface on my recording computer, but that is a pci interface and will not work for a laptop (and isn't so great for headphone listening anyway).

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by srserl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Alsa project has a list of supported sound cards:
supported sound card list
FFADO has a list of firewire sound interfaces it works with here:
firewire sound device info

Other than that, you can do a search on your desired dac/sound card and "Linux" as the search terms and see if anyone reports that it works.
I do a lot of DIY, so I don't have any commercial dacs, but anything using a 270x dac chip should work. I use an Echo Gina 3G interface on my recording computer, but that is a pci interface and will not work for a laptop (and isn't so great for headphone listening anyway).

WOOOOW didn't know about the FFADO at all!!!

Thank you very much!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back