Linux supported Soundcards
Jul 19, 2004 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

remilard

500+ Head-Fier
is the M-Audio Audiophile the best?

eta: I only care about 2 channel and I will be using the card's DAC. I have an amp so I don't need it to be loud.

Jul 19, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 13
IIRC RME cards are supported under Linux and the RME HDSP 3296 is currently the best sounding soundcard (though it's $600).

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Chaintech AV-710 is also supported under Linux. See the link in my sig for setup instructions.

Jul 19, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 13
the alsa site is www.alsa-project.org. the m-audio audiophile is definately supported under linux. in fact any soundcard based on the original envy24 chip is supported.

Jul 20, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks Mr. Radar, I swear I read your setup guide before and didn't see the linux part and assumed I wouldn't be able to get the high quality output with the chaintech.

Jul 20, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 13
ahhh that explains it. I sorta want something with optical/coax in but those get kinda spendy, the RME or terratec stuff would be great but I think for now I am going to go with the chaintech av-710, at that price I won't feel bad about upgrading again soon if I need too, and I might be able to get the $30 out of my Santa Cruz anyway. Thanks again.

Jul 20, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 13
Hey, if anyone is successfully using the Chaintech AV-710 in Linux let me know. I'm using it, but I want second opinions on the sound. I'll reserve my judgment until I've heard what everyone else has to say. Also, if someone can figure out how to get it into 96 khz mode, let me know. I have mine working fine, but I can't get it to function properly outside of 48 khz.

Jul 21, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 13
Does the Chaintech AV-710 represent a significant improvement over the CS462X line of chipsets? I've got a Fortissimo II that seems to be doing well enough (optical out works fine). All of the other "good" cards that work on linux seem to use the same (envy24) chipset, but do I really care about 24 bit if all my sources are 16 bit? Does the 24 bit mode even work at all? Just curious...

Aug 10, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 13
I did experience the stuff described below, so I stopped using this card in linux. Cirrus Logic (the DSP maker) suck badly at disclosing info on this years old chip, so there's not much hope at this getting better. Just forget about it.

From alsa-project.org:

Santa Cruz cs46xx driver:
There is a known problem with random metallic distortion during recording and playback:
(SEE: http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-dev.../msg09687.html)

Antidotal Fixes:
Recording: Open alsamixer and toggle Capture on and off with the [space bar].
Playback: Open alsamixer and toggle ADC and DAC levels ([0] for off,
[PgUp] for incremental increases)
Playback: Open alsamixer and togge External on and off with [M].
XMMS/General: stop and start playback (not pause) OR close and reopen application.

Last Option: reload modules
1) Close or kill all applications using sound (e.g. XMMS, aRts, volume controls).
2) # modprobe -r cs46xx
3) # modprobe cs46xx
(snd-cs46xx may be the correct name, esp. in 2.4.x kernels.)
(Debian users may use # /etc/init.d/alsa force-reload)
(NOTE: Monolithic kernels will require a computer reboot.)

Aug 12, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
I did experience the stuff described below, so I stopped using this card in linux. Cirrus Logic (the DSP maker) suck badly at disclosing info on this years old chip, so there's not much hope at this getting better. Just forget about it.

From alsa-project.org:

Santa Cruz cs46xx driver:
There is a known problem with random metallic distortion during recording and playback:
(SEE: http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-dev.../msg09687.html)

Antidotal Fixes:
Recording: Open alsamixer and toggle Capture on and off with the [space bar].
Playback: Open alsamixer and toggle ADC and DAC levels ([0] for off,
[PgUp] for incremental increases)
Playback: Open alsamixer and togge External on and off with [M].
XMMS/General: stop and start playback (not pause) OR close and reopen application.

Last Option: reload modules
1) Close or kill all applications using sound (e.g. XMMS, aRts, volume controls).
2) # modprobe -r cs46xx
3) # modprobe cs46xx
(snd-cs46xx may be the correct name, esp. in 2.4.x kernels.)
(Debian users may use # /etc/init.d/alsa force-reload)
(NOTE: Monolithic kernels will require a computer reboot.)

Sucks in Win XP, too....IMO.

Aug 17, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Sucks in Win XP, too....IMO.

No, I don't think so. At least I don't have any problem at music playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back