Linux/Recording soundcard recommendation
Jul 15, 2007 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

james__bean

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to replace my x-fi with something that doesn't have crappy driver support. I want a card that has 64 bit Linux and 64 bit Vista support. Besides that, I want the best card I can get for recording because I do a lot of needle drops. I don't care about the analog output stage because I'll be using an external DAC. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to replace my x-fi with something that doesn't have crappy driver support. I want a card that has 64 bit Linux and 64 bit Vista support. Besides that, I want the best card I can get for recording because I do a lot of needle drops. I don't care about the analog output stage because I'll be using an external DAC. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'll let you know how my Terratec Phase 26 USB goes in Linux once I get it... Might try it out in 64 bit Ubuntu. But I don't have Vista here so I wouldn't be able to try it out in that for you.

I hear that the M-Audio Transit USB has problems in 64 bit land in Linux, so I'd steer clear of that.

As far as PCI sound cards go, no idea here, sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 7
I just noticed that Terratec don't have 64-bit Vista drivers for the Phase 26 USB. That rules my suggestion out :/

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyllium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear that the M-Audio Transit USB has problems in 64 bit land in Linux, so I'd steer clear of that.

Indeed it does, and development for the firmware loader seems to be at a standstill, as no one ever replied to the bug reports I filed

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Heh, for some reason I thought this would be easier if I asked in a forum. Does anyone have any experience with the Jul@? I heard it did have linux drivers but I'm not sure if those work in 64 bit. Also I wasn't sure about their Vista drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back