Linux problem
Feb 24, 2005 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
Posted this over at Gentoo Forums (as it's Gentoo related), but no bites after more than a day. Suprising for them. Anyway, I figured I'd try here. Rather than post it all in it's entirety, post is here. Basically, it's a problem with GRUB and distCC, completely non-related.

I know I'm one of the few Linux geeks on here, but surely there's someone who might have some ideas?

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 11
gee, if Stephonich is stumped what hope do us poor mortals have of finding the problem?

Quote:

Basically, it's a problem with GRUB and distCC, completely non-related.

huh? Is it a Grub problem or is it a distCC problem? Did you use distCC to compile your OS or not? http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml I believe distccd is run on the server and distCC is run on the client.

The only thing I can think of is the EXT3 to reiser4 context switch is failing (/Boot to /, hda2 to hda3).

Eh, what do I know, I still haven't figured out the 'map' and 'setup' commands.

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 11
Read this
smily_headphones1.gif

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-122656.html

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 11
map is easy. Use syntax 'map realDrive fakeDrive', i.e 'map (hd0) (hd1)'. You would also, of course, do the reverse along with it, i.e. 'map (hd1) (hd0)'. Basically this lets Windows (primarily... most other OS's don't care where they're installed) think it's on the primary master.

As for setup, that just dumps you at a GRUB command prompt. Hit tab for a list of all commands you can run.

Aman, someone just recommended that thread to me on the Gentoo forums. I know my menu.lst symlink is working, but I'll try re-doing that, as it was a suggestion. Only other thing in there that might work was re-emerging GRUB without any CFLAGS or USE flags. I dunno if that'll work, but it's worth a shot.

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 11
Got it working. Dunno how, or why, but I did. Used a variety of methods, including USE="-*", CFLAGS="", and also unmasking the latest version of GRUB. After that, ran a grub-install /dev/hda and it worked like a charm.

Meh... Linux. She can be tricky.

I'll tackle distCC tomorrow. Oh, and wallijonn, to answer your question, no distCC has not been used at all so far. I tried doing that once, and it borked stuff up. I want it for things like X and WM/DEs - big stuff. Would like to use it for Firefox, but it's known to cause problems. Ah well. Can't have everything.

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 11
Stephonovich,

I though distCC was to emulate 'clustering' at the application level, distributed C compiling. So you would take a dozen, or so, machines and basically try to emulate 12 cpu intertwined workloads, each with their own thread, instead of 12 single cpu workloads, each executing the same thread. I guess the best way to describe it would be "folding", where spare cpu cycles are used to do a work slice.

Did I get it somewhere in the ballpark? I was never one for programming, preferring to debug, instead.

But, I can see where you'd need 12 machines to complie a Gentoo OS.
biggrin.gif
Too bad it doesn't work that way, right?

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Stephonovich,

I though distCC was to emulate 'clustering' at the application level, distributed C compiling. So you would take a dozen, or so, machines and basically try to emulate 12 cpu intertwined workloads, each with their own thread, instead of 12 single cpu workloads, each executing the same thread. I guess the best way to describe it would be "folding", where spare cpu cycles are used to do a work slice.

Did I get it somewhere in the ballpark? I was never one for programming, preferring to debug, instead.

But, I can see where you'd need 12 machines to complie a Gentoo OS.
biggrin.gif
Too bad it doesn't work that way, right?

That's precisely what distCC is. I'm not sure why you're explaining it to me, though. I don't recall posing a question about it.

As for using it to compile Gentoo, supposedly, it can be done. They have a HOWTO about using it to bootstrap. I think I just messed something up. But really, getting the base system in place only takes a few hours on a decently fast machine. It's other stuff (X, Gnome/KDE, OpenOffice, Firefox...) that take forever.

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 11
I was not explaining it to you, I was asking if what I thought it is was right. I'm interested in the mechanics of distributive compiling, how it does it.

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
I was not explaining it to you, I was asking if what I thought it is was right. I'm interested in the mechanics of distributive compiling, how it does it.

My bad. In re-reading, I see I missed line line, 'Did I get it somewhere in the ballpark?'. I apologize.

Feb 25, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 11
//copied from my post at Gentoo Forums

OK, I've tried with both distCC Knoppix and plain Knoppix-3.7 (booted into runlevel 3, of course), and no go. This is the error message I'm getting:

Code:

Code:
[left]distccd[1828] (dcc_execvp) ERROR: failed to exec i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: No such file or directory. distcc[9498] ERROR: compile charset.c on 192.168.1.4 failed with exit code 110 distccd[1829] (dcc_execvp) ERROR: failed to exec i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: No such file or directory. distcc[9503] ERROR: compile digraph.c on 192.168.1.4 failed with exit code 110[/left]

I made sure both systems are using gcc-3.3.x (.5 on both, I believe), so that's out. I checked distcc --version, though, and the clients report i386-pc-linux-gnu, whereas my Gentoo box reports i686-pc-linux-gnu. I Googled it, and couldn't find any method of fixing this, short of installing a distro on the other box and compiling it myself with i686 support.

I'm pretty sure setting my CHOST to i386 would work, but then, wouldn't my compiles suffer because of it? Not be optimized?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back