Linux music players - especially for classical
Nov 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #16 of 26
Some good suggestions here.
smily_headphones1.gif
For now I'm using Audacious, although I'd prefer something with a media library. I did try the alarmingly-named Methlab library with it; it worked fine so far as it went, but didn't seem to deal with composers. So at the moment I'm using the file structure for browsing, which is OK with the small amount of music on my computer at the moment. I've also installed Quod Libet, which I'll give a go soon.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #18 of 26
Does linux still resample everything to 48k? or can this be avoided?

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I output optical SPDIF from my motherboard to my DAC and it says Is getting 44.1 KHz from CD (FLAC files) sources. It does not seem to re-sample, but I don't know for sure. And this is from a fresh install of ubuntu 9.10, no tinkering at all involved.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wap32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wine+foobar2000 all the way

alternatively, exaile or mpd+sonata are also good choices.

I wonder if WINE affects the sound quality somehow? Kinda like XP's KMixer... I don't know the details of the WINE sound architecture. Did anyone make any tests and/or know some more technical details?

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #22 of 26
I really like Songbird. I use it on Linux, Mac, and Windows. It's got library and playlist functionality, and it supports shoutcast radio streams and AAC files natively.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitor Machado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if WINE affects the sound quality somehow? Kinda like XP's KMixer... I don't know the details of the WINE sound architecture. Did anyone make any tests and/or know some more technical details?

That's a good question. I didn't note any difference, I think it just redirects the stream to Pulseaudio or whatever sink you choose.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If dmix or some sound server is enabled, sound can be resampled to 48k.
There is file like /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
where output frequency can be read while playback

I had to disable dmix to avoid resampling

Example of hw_params

access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 192000 (192000/1)
period_size: 6000
buffer_size: 96000

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #25 of 26
Resamapling to 48k is dependent on the card too. Look for a card that is capable of "bit perfect" output via linux. It's fairly easy to get bit perfect output w/ALSA once you have the "right" card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back