linux has blown me away
Sep 9, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #76 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought ALSA has E-MU support now...?

I wasn't aware of that, but I did try to get my 0202 USB set up, I gave up after quite a few hours of frustration.

I should mention that there's another reason I dual boot: I use Adobe Audition 2.0 to make needle drops. So far I haven't found anything in Linux that could replace Audition, Audacity is closest, but still not close enough for me.

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #79 of 105
well, a bit; i've had a few times where ubuntu won't load on restart, at least if i go into bios first; i had to blacklist a couple things for wifi to work but it was easy; now i'm just trying to get a feel of things

question:
1. i downloaded azureus but when i click a bittorent link i can't seem to find teh application to have it "open this type of file with azureus" you know
2. where do i put my music? does it matter

so far i've downloaded VLC, amarok, wine, gmail-notify, along with everything ubuntu comes with; haven't really used it much though; it'll take a little doing but so far i'm quite pleased

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #80 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by heatmizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

That gave me this:

debian:/home/mark# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package flashplugin-nonfree has no installation candidate

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #81 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right on that one!

As far as distros go, I really really like Arch. It uses a running release system and it's really customizable. It feels like a mix of Slack and Gentoo.

Arch is awesome, definitely my favourite distro.

gnome...bleh, I've always hated it, seems like it's been trying to be like KDE since they started the damn thing. I'm a windowmaker user forever <3

Quote:

Package management in Debian isn't as nice as it is in Ubuntu

What are you talking about? You talking about how they have Synaptic installed? You can put that on debian if you really feel like it. I can't stand that ****, it slows me down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuroyume /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iirc, Mint is based in ubuntu, so if you had problems with ubuntu, mint won¡t work either

Mint is nicer when configuring hardware imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question:
1. i downloaded azureus but when i click a bittorent link i can't seem to find teh application to have it "open this type of file with azureus" you know
2. where do i put my music? does it matter

Azureus sucks, don't use it. Download Wine and Utorrent. Install wine (and run winecfg if you want, you don't have to really) and then cd to the directory where utorrent is and run it with "wine utorrent.exe" and it'll pop up the utorrent installation blah blah. Anyway, set your browser to automatically save torrent files to a directory. Go into the utorrent settings and it has an option to automatically load torrents from a directory. I have it set up this way, I click on a torrent link, opera saves it to the folder and utorrent automatically loads it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That gave me this:

debian:/home/mark# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package flashplugin-nonfree has no installation candidate

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash do as it says for option 1, it's not very hard and it's better to get used to installing things this way =3 You have to run the ./inst... as root just so you know. If you need any help just im me =3

Sep 10, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #82 of 105
I use Ubuntu most of the time for internet use but I also have Xp, Vista, Win2K and even WinME installed on other PC's. My gaming rig and music box has XP. I like Ubuntu but opening apps and doing many functions in an app is not as fast as it is on any of the Microsoft OS's. It's not an underpowered PC either. It's just something I've always noticed about Linux in general when using the X GUI.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #83 of 105
ubuntu is based on gnome, which in my experience has always been a bit unresponsive and slow... KDE is, again in my experience, much faster...

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #84 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Azureus sucks, don't use it. Download Wine and Utorrent.

I used utorrent before, but now I have ktorrent, wich is native and very similar. Try it.

Sep 10, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #85 of 105
Quote:

Arch is awesome, definitely my favourite distro.

gnome...bleh, I've always hated it, seems like it's been trying to be like KDE since they started the damn thing. I'm a windowmaker user forever <3

Another one who likes Arch! I didn't think those existed anywhere but at the official forums.
wink.gif

I don't know about WMM though... It's a tad too ugly for me to bother using it...

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #86 of 105
Quote:

Azureus sucks, don't use it. Download Wine and Utorrent

wow, really? i use utorrent with windows but i didn't know it was so good it was worth it to emulate it in linux

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #87 of 105
Linux makes me laugh sometimes. Things like the about screen in older versions of amarok, super-cow powers, etc... here's the latest thing that just showed up on a machine that's having disk problems:

Quote:

The program 'apt-get' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install apt

tongue.gif

Incredibly simple fix, but this reminds me of an old 1x CD-ROM drive I have that came with drivers on CD.

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #88 of 105
Quote:

wow, really? i use utorrent with windows but i didn't know it was so good it was worth it to emulate it in linux

µTorrent is by far the best torrent client imo.

@Honken: you think windowmaker looks old? lol, I have my desktop setup to look like Irix "Irix" vs. windowmaker :p Funny how I have gnome and newbuntu running and I hate both, lol, but as I say...doesn't matter what it runs, I can get it to work the way I want it to =3 I had Solaris on here before and had it set up the same way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used utorrent before, but now I have ktorrent, wich is native and very similar. Try it.

Cool, I didn't know if it was any good, I don't believe I have the KDE base installed as is right now, might stick it on at some point though.

@MCC: compiling from source FTW

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #89 of 105
Quote:

I used to run Utorrent under wine too since Azureus just bogged down my system, until I found "Deluge". It's a great simple GTK torrent app. Almost certain it's in the Ubuntu repositories, if your not running Gutsy and want a more recent version check out http://www.getdeb.net , they've got Ubuntu .deb packages for all kinds of linux apps.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #90 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I preffer the OS itself but I just can't find any programs on Linux that are superior to Foobar, µTorrent or Miranda.

I never had anything but trouble with Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Fluxbuntu though, Arch worked much better for me.

Miranda I don't know about, uTorrent ought to work fine, and FB2K under WINE is as good as it gets right now (using it right now
smily_headphones1.gif
)--or use a XMMS fork. LAMIP could be the killer player, but not any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back