linux has blown me away
Sep 8, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #62 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would appear it's only Ubuntu 7.04 that wont work for me, I downloaded 6.06 and it's installing just fine.

Hmmmmm...

That doesn't make a lot of sense...

Maybe the other guys are right, maybe you just have a bad iso.

Sep 8, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #64 of 105
Quote:

It would appear it's only Ubuntu 7.04 that wont work for me, I downloaded 6.06 and it's installing just fine.

Sounds like a bad iso to me.

Sep 8, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #65 of 105
Quote:

I did try downloading 7.04 again, and burning it as slow as possible, same results. Can I update 6 to 7 via a download instead of burning the iso?

I don't think you can do a version upgrade via update, though I could be wrong.

Have you tried Mint? Cassandra (Mint 3.0) is based on Ubuntu 7.04, maybe that'll work better.

I can't imagine why an earlier version of Ubuntu would install while the most recent one won't... It's a bit confusing for me.

Sep 8, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #66 of 105
Quote:

I did try downloading 7.04 again, and burning it as slow as possible, same results. Can I update 6 to 7 via a download instead of burning the iso?

Yes, you can. Install 6 and type:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

at a terminal. You'll have a fair wait depending on your net speed.

Sep 8, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #67 of 105
Cool, I'll do the 6 install and upgrade it. I'm not sure why it wont work either, maybe it has to do with the hardware? I'm installing it on a Celeron 733mhz, 512mb ram, 15gb Quantum Fireball, onboard graphics, etc. Quite the old slow rig, but Debian works fine on it!

Sep 9, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #69 of 105
Quote:

Cool, I'll do the 6 install and upgrade it. I'm not sure why it wont work either, maybe it has to do with the hardware? I'm installing it on a Celeron 733mhz, 512mb ram, 15gb Quantum Fireball, onboard graphics, etc. Quite the old slow rig, but Debian works fine on it!

Well I'm glad to learn something new myself!

Synaptic is cool, it really does make things a lot easier. But learning some of the more arcane apt cli commands is something I've been meaning to do but haven't yet.

That hardware really shouldn't give any flavor of Linux too much of a hard time, I'm still curious why it won't install for you.

But at least you're on your way now!
icon10.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #70 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you can. Install 6 and type:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

at a terminal. You'll have a fair wait depending on your net speed.

it's a bit more complicated than that... if you are on dapper (6.06) you need to upgrade to 6.10 and then to 7.04

to do this, you need to change your source files and replace all dapper occurences there with edgy, then run the above commands, do the same thing replacing with feisty, rinse and repeat...

it's really not newbie-friendly, so i wouldn't suggest it...

to check if you have a bad CD, use Check CD for defects in the main boot menu of the ubuntu cd...

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #71 of 105
Other useful software:
VLC videolanclient
XMMS mp3 player like winamp
Xine dvd player
Mplayer media plyer
OpenOffice office suite
TheGimp image manipulation
Audacity wave editor
Kpdf or Evince pdf viewers
Azureus torrents
Ksynaptics or Qsynaptics touchpad control
p7zip

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #72 of 105
I'm pretty sure Ubuntu has a tool for upgrading to the next version of the OS in the update manager. Click the orange square with the star in it on the top right of the screen and check to see if that option is available to you.

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #73 of 105
I have ubuntu installed and I love everything about it. I have one major problem though: E-mu 1212m won't work no matter what I do. If I had an sound in the first place I'd probably be complaining that foobar2k is windows only.

Sep 9, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #74 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ubuntu installed and I love everything about it. I have one major problem though: E-mu 1212m won't work no matter what I do. If I had an sound in the first place I'd probably be complaining that foobar2k is windows only.

Yeah, that's the only reason that I still dual boot, support for high end audio interfaces is non-existent.

It's not Linux's fault, the manufacturers of these devices have exactly zero incentive to write drivers for Linux, and it's at least moderately difficult to reverse engineer.

I can use my on-board sound interface so I have sound, just not audiophile grade. So I dual boot...
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #75 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's the only reason that I still dual boot, support for high end audio interfaces is non-existent.

It's not Linux's fault, the manufacturers of these devices have exactly zero incentive to write drivers for Linux, and it's at least moderately difficult to reverse engineer.

I can use my on-board sound interface so I have sound, just not audiophile grade. So I dual boot...
frown.gif

I thought ALSA has E-MU support now...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back