linux has blown me away
Sep 7, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 105
Linux is all great when you are just 'playing' around on your computer. The fact that Linux is not supported by most business software or productivity software makes me not want to switch. Yes I was all over 'luv, peace, and penguin' a few years back
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #19 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried Ubuntu with no success, later this afternoon I'm going to try Debian, followed by Linux Mint.

If Ubuntu gave you problems you can prolly skip debian, both Mint and Ubuntu are based on Debian.

What sort of problems were you having?

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #20 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Linux is all great when you are just 'playing' around on your computer. The fact that Linux is not supported by most business software or productivity software makes me not want to switch. Yes I was all over 'luv, peace, and penguin' a few years back
wink.gif

That's more true in the States than elsewhere in the world... there are parts of the world where it's not at all unusual to be using Linux at work.

In fact a very good suite of office applications comes free and preinstalled/preconfigured in most distros. I'm of course thinking of Open Office 2.0. It really has improved over the 1.0 version, it's actually very competitive with the M$ products as far as functionality goes. And I only very rarely have any problems using it to open Word or Excel documents.

That's the problem with getting hooked into proprietary formats like Word and Excel... it's a lot harder to tell Micro$oft to take a long walk on a short pier when all your documents are in proprietary formats. That's a big reason for all the hubbub over the recent ISO vote on open formats.

But I'm in that same boat, I have to use Window$ at work, I have no choice. But lets not blame Linux, ODF is available right now, as are other open formats.

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #21 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried Ubuntu with no success, later this afternoon I'm going to try Debian, followed by Linux Mint.

If you had no success with Ubuntu, then I won't even waste your time with Debian. Ubuntu is based on Debian, and I can firmly state from personaly experience that Debian is a huge PITA (though not on the same level as Gentoo). I'm not sure about Linux Mint, though. You may want to give Mepis or Fedora a shot.

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #22 of 105
None of the Linux distros I've tried have been worth considering. For very basic functions, Ubuntu works, but the lack of drivers and codec support, plus the crappy programs and the constants crashes I had with it simply were not worth it. I will never go back to Linux.

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #24 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuroyume /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amarok
ktorrent
kopete

KDE apps are, imo, awesome...

no
no
no
no
biggrin.gif

Nah, I just don't like KDE, although KDE-MOD works. I'm more of a GTK + Openbox + pyPanel user myself. I found Quod Libet, Transmission and GAIM (back when I used it, it's Pidgin now, isn't it?) to be the best out of the programs I tried. Still, they were beaten by Foobar, µTorrent and Miranda pretty easily.

And seriously, why's Amarok so popular? I see nothing special about it except for a really bloated UI.
confused.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #25 of 105
bloated? i find it remarkably simple for all the stuff it does...

of course, i always choose extra features over simplicity, so i may be biased...

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #27 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Ubuntu gave you problems you can prolly skip debian, both Mint and Ubuntu are based on Debian.

What sort of problems were you having?

I'm trying to install it on an older hard drive, when I run the Ubuntu cd it hangs at "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off"

I can't figure out how to format the hard drive from the Ubuntu cd. I had also tried Ubuntu last year and it installed and all, but it would randomly shut down the pc.

Edit: I'm new to Linux, so I'm not familiar with any of it at this point.

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #29 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Linux works totally perfectly on some hardware and crashes and burns on some hardware is "supported." But I'm glad it works for you; I'll be installing Linux on my next computer. If there was a Flash player for PPC Linux I'd have it right now, but alas, there isn't
frown.gif

There is however a Flash player in Mint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back