Linux-fi
Dec 14, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watching code fly by compiling doesn't teach you anything.

Sorry for late reply.

As you surely know Gentoo is much more than programs built from source. I like the init.d system which is easy to use. The USE flags aren't bad either. There's so much little details Gentoo grants. And portage is lovely!

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #47 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for late reply.

As you surely know Gentoo is much more than programs built from source. I like the init.d system which is easy to use. The USE flags aren't bad either. There's so much little details Gentoo grants. And portage is lovely!

Certainly, but saying that it 'teaches you about Linux' any more than any other distro is, for most Gentoo users, a load of crap. I love Gentoo, don't get me wrong, but it's not an educational distro - it's merely a power user's distro.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #48 of 68
I use Fedora Core 8 now and I previously used Fedora Core 6. It works very well and I use amarok to listen to music which is a great program. I changed to Linux when I stopped playing computer games.

Dec 21, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #49 of 68
Ubuntu 7.10... Completely replaced my all of computing expect gaming and Matlab publishing.

Other then that, Linux is a great, stable OS to use.

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #50 of 68
I'm not a Linux user currently, but the next computer I get (it is my reward/incentive for finishing my masters thesis) will run Ubuntu Studio. Can't wait!

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #51 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Fedora Core 8 now and I previously used Fedora Core 6. It works very well and I use amarok to listen to music which is a great program. I changed to Linux when I stopped playing computer games.

ugh, why would you do that to yourself? fedora is beta and ressembles alpha way too much !

I use RHEL5 at work (on my workstation most servers are RHEL3/4) and centOS5/debian/ubuntu at home. (centOS on server, debian on miniITX media pc and ubuntu on desktop)

It works well. Yum sucks compared to Apt thats for sure. At the start of the thread there was that no root on ubuntu rubbish, its not hard, type "sudo passwd" and thats it. If it doesnt work, then create the user root (or another if that user is allready taken) and give it the UID of 0 and bam he is root as soon as he logs in. here are a million way of letting people have a root account on ubuntu. I too think its stupid to only let people use sudo. In fact i'm not even on the sudoer's on my rhel5 workstation...

Ubuntu is definately not a server distro though first off its too unstable, it is based off debian unstable, but i cant really see people using debian as a server either, its just plain annoying, also i find running a debian server on unstable to be just silly, but running it on stable makes all the packages seem real dated.

Dec 28, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #53 of 68
are you refering to my fedora comment?

I've talked to a lot of people and they all seem to agree, it makes sense as a distro if you dont want to shell out for RHEL, but centOS is there just for that. And as a bleeding edge distro theres alot better (and alot more bleeding edge too....)

I havent heard much bad from fedora 8 so maybe they've improved, but then again i can't be bothered to try it, i've tried them all since fedora 2 (the power of virtualisation...
smily_headphones1.gif
) and i've always found them a bit dodgy.

If that wasnt directed at me then i'm sorry but hey at least i extended my point... also my apt vs. yum comment was too strong, i use yum quite alot, but i dont think its quite up there with apt. True its better than rpm and ap2get but its still not quite there.

Dec 28, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #55 of 68
lol i even gave a solution to that problem. There have been lots of reports of that problem, but its never been proven...

I personally have always put it down as user error, if anyone can prove me wrong please do. However changing the UID to 0 will always work if the sudo trick doesnt.

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #56 of 68
Quote:

ugh, why would you do that to yourself? fedora is beta and ressembles alpha way too much !

Well, Fedora works just fine for me. I tried Suse but Fedora is way better in my opinion. For example sound and internet worked on the first log-in with Fedora and nothing worked with Suse. It is also one of the most popular distributions and I don't know how that could be possible if it doesn't work.
I suggest you try Fedora before badmouthing it or keep your comments to yourself.

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #57 of 68
i knew there'd be a fanboy somewhere....

I'm not interested wether a distro works first time... hell i've never seen a distro recognise one of my pc's properly... When i said i didnt like fedora it was because it has stability issues, and i'm not the only one with those concerns.

Anywyas it doesnt matter, if you like it its not a problem, feel free to use it ! I'm not gonna try switching anyone.

And as i said before i have tried fedora lots of times, although not version 8, simply because i'm not interested in it anymore.

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #58 of 68
I don't know what you mean by stability issues but my PC has never crashed with Fedora.
I'm not trying to convince anyone that Fedora is the best distro to get or something but from my experience ..it just works fine and it's easy to use.

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #59 of 68
i'm not saying it never works or crashes all the time, but i've seen big fedora crashes and there are some well known big bugs

check that one out :
Windows sidelined by Fedora bug - ZDNet UK

but if you used redhat free version, most people were really dissapointed with fedora, redhat free was rock solid, stable like rhel, fedora was much different, and frankly really not that great, i had multiple crashes on FC7 using vmware (not exactly a hard platform to support...)

I'm dissapointed at redhat's strategy but then centos came along and well in my opinion fedora has little reason to exist except as to serve as a public community beta of RHEL.

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #60 of 68
I met that bug while installing Fedora a long time ago. I have to agree that it does feel like there's an aging base underneath the flashy new exterior. Also, rpm package management, be it on suse or fedora) is always a bit hit and miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back