linux dap
Apr 8, 2005 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
daps compatable with linux??? i'm in the market for something 10-15gb; older, used, cheaper with line out
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 11
any iriver player before the H10 is fully MSC, no software apps needed, so they should work. or, there's linux interfaces for the Apple iPod and Rio Karma as well.

Apr 8, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 11
Check out cowon's products, just mount & go
smily_headphones1.gif

Especially easy if you have a version of linux that auto detects removable drivers like ubuntu...

(oh, and my m3l sounds amazing with my er-4p's)

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
any iriver player before the H10 is fully MSC, no software apps needed, so they should work. or, there's linux interfaces for the Apple iPod and Rio Karma as well.

what is msc? are you talking about how it mounts as external hdd?

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 11
nice. seems i have many options. the karma is what i want. it would probably be headphone-out on the go and sitting-in-the-dock and using line out to connect aux-in with car stereo

actually: that's probably best. i'm scared of hdd failure, but the karma just does everything i want like none other. OGG VORBIS of course; gapless, well you know the list. i've had 3 ipods and enjoyed them, but they seem to be missing soemthing for me. i'd go for one if they weren't so darn expensive used. i managed (by some miracle) to pick up a g3 15gb ipod on ebay for $100 awhile ago (sold it for $150 later
smily_headphones1.gif
), but now the prices are ridiculous. will check out good ol rio. and nice not to have to buy a sik din for car usage.

Apr 8, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 11
i realized another need: my hdd isn't that big and my flac files will take up lots of space. i'd like to avoid having to have 20gb worth of ogg files on there. and yes, i want to keep my flac for home usage: so.... can i simply convert from ogg to flac ( i think flac frontend can do this???), load on the rio, and then delete ogg file from pc hdd??? i.e. i can't have it auto-sync like the ipod does, and then have a blank dap hdd. i've done that once, and yes; good ole ipod likes to axe it's own hd info througth sincying

Apr 8, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 11
but dang ipod has so much support and cute/fun and even usefull apps; free linux apps look pretty neat-o. then again, i don't want much pda-like functiosn anyway. music first, music first, repeat the mantra....ohhhmmmmmm

Apr 8, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

i realized another need: my hdd isn't that big and my flac files will take up lots of space. i'd like to avoid having to have 20gb worth of ogg files on there. and yes, i want to keep my flac for home usage: so.... can i simply convert from ogg to flac ( i think flac frontend can do this???), load on the rio, and then delete ogg file from pc hdd??? i.e. i can't have it auto-sync like the ipod does, and then have a blank dap hdd. i've done that once, and yes; good ole ipod likes to axe it's own hd info througth sincying

Did you mean from FLAC to Ogg? If so, yes. And, if you /really/ need the extra space, you could hack a 40 gig drive in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back