Linux AV710 96KHz playback
May 16, 2005 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DMOS

New Head-Fier
What are you guys using for playback software in Linux? The part of the guide in the AV710 setup guide doesn't explain much. Is a software resampler needed?

As well, it doesn't explain how to enable the new jack. From what I read it should "just work", but that's not my case.

May 16, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't think there are drivers for linux that support the high resolution mode. I could be wrong though.

May 16, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 7
Check the current AV710 setup guide in this forum. There's a file there which helps.

Anyways, it now works... kinda. There's output, and works well with CDs when connected by analog cable. The problem creeps up when playing back files from the HD. There's static and such that shows up. It seems to be when there are loud points in the file, so somewhere in the audio chain it's clipping. I'm just not sure where.

May 17, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 7
If it's clipping it's likely you have your PCM volume set too high. Lower it to <70% and see if that helps.

May 19, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 7
So it's now working. The volume control is the PCM control and don't use alsa-lib 1.0.8 as av710 highdef support is quite borked. 1.0.7 on the other hand, works awesome. Someone might want to add that to the AV710 setup guide.

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 7
Ive been able to use the 7/8 Wolfson DAC and bit perfect spdif output just fine with kernel 2.6.12-ck3 and alsa 1.0.9b (driver compiled seperate from kernel, I believe 2.6.12 comes with 1.0.9rc2).

However I have not found any way to use a 96khz mode with it. The only codec that shows up in my /proc/asound is the one limited to 48khz.

I still find this card slightly anoying vs my motherboards built in card (that resamples everything to 48khz) Is that if i do want 44khz out put I have to manualy go into alsamixer (or do a amixer cset) and set the internal rate to 44. Its very easy to get something wrong if your constantly switching between using mplayer/xmms/xine to play 44k and 48k files. In some instances it will switch automaticly, in others it wont.

Also unless you use an xmms or mplayer audio filter to resample rates less than 44k to 44 or 48k it will output terribly wrong pitched audio. I end up finding it preferable to use my motherboards built in audio that resamples everything to 48 , alltho its not technicaly bit perfect for all my flacs, it is more practical than micromanaging the rate setting. I was hoping this card could play my DVD-Audio rips with the 96k mode, but it seems this is either a lie, or no one has reverse engineered the windows drivers to put it into this mode. C'est la vie!

-David
kradradio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back