Linux as a music source; should I do it?
Apr 12, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #16 of 22
I run FreeBSD 6.x on my PC, using a MicroDAC as my source and amaroK as my player. Sounds pretty damn good to me. Unfortunately, amaroK hasn't released a stable version with gapless. Once I have gapless working, it will be perfect for me.

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
wouldn't that not be bitperfect? yall are tempting me to no end =D. Now someone needs to buy my x-fi! =D

Yup; bitperfect. You have to explicitly specify in your ALSA (advanced linux sound architecture) configuration if you want it to resample the signal for you. Some media players like mplayer will automatically resample up or down if the media you're trying to play is sampled at a rate which isn't explicitly supported by the output device.

You can check the supported rates (and currently active rate) by checking /proc/asound/<card#>/stream0... in my case:

Playback:
Interface = 1
Altset = 1
URBs = 8 [ 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 ]
Packet Size = 192
Momentary freq = 44100 Hz (0x2c.199a)
Interface 1
Altset 1
Format: S16_LE
Channels: 2
Endpoint: 6 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
Rates: 44100, 48000

This is with the TBAAM.

A quick look at my Lavry confirms it's locked to 44.1khz.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #18 of 22
yeah, when I switched back to linux from os x I was amazed at how much better the flacs sounded on linux vs os x. I thought os x would be the same, but linux blew it away.

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #19 of 22
With my computer i thought linux sounded horrible compared to windows, with a lot of clipping. Even when the volume is turned down, it still sounded lower quality than windows. However, next time I run into the problem, I should be able to fix it by rewriting the drivers or other parts of the code.

Apr 14, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #20 of 22
The M Audio Audiophile 192 isn't supported by ALSA (but it is by the cumbersome OSS driver), but www.alsaproject.org claims that the Revolution 7.1 and Audiophile 2496 cards are supported. That's why I'm trying to get hold of one of those cards right now. Messing with OSS is too much of a hassle.

Here's a list of sound cards supported by ALSA:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...dor=All#matrix

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinba
The M Audio Audiophile 192 isn't supported by ALSA (but it is by the cumbersome OSS driver), but www.alsaproject.org claims that the Revolution 7.1 and Audiophile 2496 cards are supported. That's why I'm trying to get hold of one of those cards right now. Messing with OSS is too much of a hassle.

The revo 7.1 hardly works with Linux, most I've got was like mono sound with some fighting in one distro.

Apr 15, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinba

Actually the audiophile/192 (USB) does work with alsa; it's just quite tricky to get it going. Support is in the latest kernel, but you need to edit your .asoundrc and do sample format conversion:

pcm.audiophileraw {
type hw
card 2
device 0
}

pcm_slave.slave1 {
pcm audiophileraw
format S24_3BE
}

pcm.audiophile {
type plug
slave slave1
}

.. as that's the only format it seems to understand (at least with the alsa driver).

I didn't try audio in/midi/etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back