linux and zen micro
Apr 1, 2005 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jnev

100+ Head-Fier
has anyone tried mounting the zen micro in linux? which firmware did you use. i use linux almost exclusively now so it'd be really nice if i could transfer all my music to my linux partition instead of having to keeps copies of it in both windows and linux so that i could sync my micro. the reason i don't upgrade to the 2.x firmwares that support drag/drop is because they aren't reversible back to the 1.x so if it doesn't work i'm kinda screwed...

thanks

Apr 1, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev
has anyone tried mounting the zen micro in linux? which firmware did you use. i use linux almost exclusively now so it'd be really nice if i could transfer all my music to my linux partition instead of having to keeps copies of it in both windows and linux so that i could sync my micro. the reason i don't upgrade to the 2.x firmwares that support drag/drop is because they aren't reversible back to the 1.x so if it doesn't work i'm kinda screwed...

thanks

Only the beta 2.xx.xx is non-reversible, the other one is. download 2.00.12 at the bottom of the page.

Apr 1, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 5
damnit, it says that the firmware will only work on winxp. BUT, if it'll show up as a drive in windows, i expect it will in linux as well... i'll try it out over the weekend probably

thanks for the link

Apr 1, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev
damnit, it says that the firmware will only work on winxp. BUT, if it'll show up as a drive in windows, i expect it will in linux as well... i'll try it out over the weekend probably

thanks for the link

It doesnt show up as a drive like a flash drive does. it shows up as an mp3 player (a plays-for-sure mp3 device), thats why its win XP only. It does act like a drive in XP but it doesnt say Drive G for instance, but rather the name that you gave it. You can try it but i would only give it a 1 in 5 chance at working. I wouldnt know the first thing about loading linux on an mp3 player, much less a player that no one has loaded linux on (that i know of) in the first place.

Apr 1, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 5
no, you misunderstood me. i don't to load linux onto the player. i just i want to use linux to load music onto it instead of using windows. i use linux 95% of the time anyways, and one of the only reasons i use windows is to sync my music.

too bad about the firmware though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back