Linux and DACs...
Apr 27, 2008 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shomie911

500+ Head-Fier
I have linux on my laptop and I'm going to buy a Keces DAC-151 to use with it.

When running Windows most people install ASIO4ALL and other various plugins to keep the OS from mucking up the sound.

My question is whether or not a version of ASIO (or its alternative for the linux platform) is needed to irk out the best quality sound from my new USB DAC?

I'm running the latest Mandriva distro.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 10
Linux' soundsystems are different from Windows' ones. ALSA is very good, if not bitperfect (haven't tested) by default. There is no such need for kernel streaming or ASIO than there is in Windows.

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 10
what´s the Keces DAC-1 ?
I only know their DA-131 and DA-151, do you have a link with info about that product?

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what´s the Keces DAC-1 ?
I only know their DA-131 and DA-151, do you have a link with info about that product?

No I meant to write DA-151 but missed the last two numbers.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Linux' soundsystems are different from Windows' ones. ALSA is very good, if not bitperfect (haven't tested) by default. There is no such need for kernel streaming or ASIO than there is in Windows.

But I thought that KMixer was the problem in Windows, because Mandriva has an app called KMix on the toollbar.

It seems like it might be similar (and degrade the SQ) as the one on Windows.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 10
In linux (running ubuntu) i set the following in my ~/.asoundconf file to output via optical to my Zero Dac/amp.

Code:

Code:
[left]pcm.!default { type hw card Intel device 1 }[/left]

You get the card and device number from "aplay -l". Device 1 is optical on my built in Intel sound chipset, device 0 is the standard 3.5mm jacks.

The above setup means it bypasses the mixers and directs the audio straight to the output. The downside of this is I can only have one application using sound at a time.

With your dac i would assume you just update your .asoundconf with the Dac device name and device number for bit perfect audio.

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by king756 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In linux (running ubuntu) i set the following in my ~/.asoundconf file to output via optical to my Zero Dac/amp.

Code:

Code:
[left]pcm.!default { type hw card Intel device 1 }[/left]

You get the card and device number from "aplay -l". Device 1 is optical on my built in Intel sound chipset, device 0 is the standard 3.5mm jacks.

The above setup means it bypasses the mixers and directs the audio straight to the output. The downside of this is I can only have one application using sound at a time.

With your dac i would assume you just update your .asoundconf with the Dac device name and device number for bit perfect audio.

Thanks, I don't have the DAC yet but "aplay -l" tells me all the hardware sound playback devices perfectly.

I'm not sure how (or where) I have to change my .asoundconf.

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 10
When you get your dac you can plug it in and get the device name / number using the "aplay -l" command then type

Code:

Code:
[left]gedit ~/.asoundconf[/left]

Which will bring up a editor if you are running gnome. Otherwise you could use good old vi
Code:

Code:
[left]vi ~/.asoundconf[/left]

The "~" is a shortcut to your home directory.

May 8, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 10
Alright I got the DAC, and no music
frown.gif

I went in to Mandriva's Control Center and overrided the device location to hw:pCM2702 and the green light on the DAC turns on.

When I shut down or start up the computer I hear the system sounds.

However, when I am using Amarok or Kaffeine there is no sound...

I tried but I don't know how to use "vi ~/.asoundconf"

I don't know how to use/configure it to make the DA-151 my sound device.

Help!

May 8, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 10
Forget it, I'm just installing Ubuntu.

The DA-151 is supposed to work automatically with Ubuntu, so that should be a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back