Lint
Apr 4, 2009 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
And where in the hell does it all come frome?!@!?

I mean each and every time I wash and dry my clothes, especially the whites, I get the filter full of the white fluffy stuff. As often as I've washed them, and as much of the fluff that I've gotten, I'd think that the clothes would have disintegrated into nothing.

So I don't get it. What exactly is all that crap, and, more imortantly, where does it come from?

I realize this forum probably won't be much help, as I'd guess 95 percent of us are of the male variety and our ideas of clean clothes require only the sniff test and turning of clothing inside out.

But...thought I'd give it a try.

'Dwebe

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 19
Dust accumulates on your clothes while you're outside and anytime you move. Dust gets in your home and coats everything you own, including your clothes. Dust could be pollution, dirt or even dead skin. You can't avoid it.

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 19
Lint is an accumulation of broken fibers from the clothing caused by the wear-and-tear of normal use as well as due to the abraision caused by washing them.

The more you wear them the more they wear
smily_headphones1.gif

edit - and for the record, belly-button lint comes from the clothing you wear, not from your skin wearing
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 19
The accumulation of dust and dust bunnies, close relatives of lint, can be lessened by use of a stand-alone HEPA filter. They're a bit expensive, but it beats dusting. I go so far as to vacuum the lint off the dryer filter.

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 19
Dryer lint is a great art medium....

lint-angel_B.jpg

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit - and for the record, belly-button lint comes from the clothing you wear, not from your skin wearing
tongue.gif

Indeed. In other news, I just had to check that theory and... my belly-button lint was dark blue, and today I wore a black-and-blue shirt. Science 1, superstition 0.
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get lint accumulation in your ears then I would be worried.

avoid fuzzy hats
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more you wear them the more they wear
smily_headphones1.gif

tongue.gif

Greatness.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha i get it in between my toes, usually a blue/black mix, was worried

Otherwise referred to as "toe jam". Great on pumpernickel.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what the heck is a dust bunny?

In houses without wall-to-wall carpeting, dust collects under furniture, especially beds, in large fuzzy masses, called dust bunnies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back