Linn Mimik II worth 400 dollars?
Aug 25, 2003 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HanssoN

100+ Head-Fier
I'm just wondering if a used Linn Mimik II, (in excellent condition), is worth 400 dollars or if I can do better...

I also wonder if it goes well with the HD600s, I'm looking for a detailed player, and I've got no experience with Linn whatsoever... At a price this low I guess I can afford to gamble, but your opinions are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 8
If it is really in excellent condition, that seems like a very fine deal. I think it is more important to match the amp to the cans that it is to match the source.....

Aug 26, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for your advice.... If the player is still available I might go for it, but I've got som other hobbies too, fountain pens for example... =) BTW, has anyone heard anything about the new Denon DVD-1400? It reads both SACD and DVD-A, and it costs less than the 2900... seems like a good deal too... I heard of this player yesterday, and I guess I'll wait for it and try it out!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2003 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 8
hansson,

I would consider the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb. I did a comparison between my Linn Genki, which is a step above the mimik, and my NT and I found that the Ah! player is more transparent and detailed. This can be good or bad, depending on your applications. The Linn is a really fine player, but it has a particular sound. Also, the NT I have is base, w/o any upgrades of which there are many. It is also cheaper. Go to www.upscaleaudio.com to check it out.

I am not advertising or anything, but I noticed that you were looking for detail, which the NT has a lot of.

Take care.

Sep 1, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Ahhh . . . fountain pens, another very expensive hobby that makes most people think you're a little crazy. My fiancee doesn't care much for headphones, but was quite excited when for her last birthday I managed to procure a new old stock circa mid 1940s Parker 51, in addition to a Sailor "precious wood" lacquer and rosewood fountain pen. I must say, that both write quite well, better even than that yardstick, my own trusty Pelikan 800.

OTOH, she is perfectly content with her old Sony EX70 earbuds, and can't understand the necessity of my separate headphone amp and having both the Senn 600s and the Sony CD-3000.

Sep 1, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Concerning fountain pens... I'm thinking of getting the new Parker Sonnet Tartan... It looks really nice, and I'm very satisfied with the performance of my Duofold, so I guess the Sonnet will be nice too! If anyone has any experience with the Sonnet line, feel free to comment!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Edit: If anyone has a Montblanc Marcel Proust LE FP with a fine nib for sale, please let me know, OK? =) It doesn't matter if it has been inked!

Sep 2, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 8
With the pen discussion I'm sort of thread-jacking my own thread :p I hope you don't mind =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back