linn lp12 dead motor
Aug 12, 2007 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
the motor on my fathers lp12 has burned out, and the platter wont turn at all any more. searching on the internet has turned up various expensive upgrade kits, is there anywhere i can get a new motor from?
this is so annoying since i just got a new box of vintage vinyl thats sitting there taunting me.
any help will be greatly appreciated.

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 5
Are you sure its the motor? These don't often go. Not being smart, but you did check the fuse?

What is the power supply in the LP12 - ie original circuit with dropping resistor/valhalla or lingo?

If its the original simple circuit, it'll be either the phasing caps or resistor. If its the valhalla, then these often come up on ebay for smallish money. If its a lingo then the money will be more....

Fran

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 5
im pretty sure its the motor, taking the platter off, the spindle on the motor just vibrates rather than turning. this sucks, and i really cat afford to shell out on this right now.

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im pretty sure its the motor, taking the platter off, the spindle on the motor just vibrates rather than turning. this sucks, and i really cat afford to shell out on this right now.

Like Fran says the circuit in the basic LP12 is very simple so the motor's can tend to behave erratically as the components age.

The motor vibrating has happened to me on a Logic DM-101 which is a very similar deck to the early '80s LP12 (pre Valhalla)

Try just giving it a twist with your fingers and see if you can encourage it to spin. I have seen these go backwards at times as well!

Linn will of course supply you with a new motor, and fully service any LP12 they have ever made but most dealers will charge you the best part of a 100 quid just to look at it.

The other option apart from Origin Live motor upgrades which are also pretty expensive is to just get another NOS motor.

All belt drives made in the UK use some variety of Philips Motor badged Premotec or something. Look at the numbers and make and model actually written on the motor and you'll probably find that someone like http://www.mclennan.co.uk/ will have the original. They actually cost about 30 quid
wink.gif

Post in the Linn forum on vinylengine.com as well as I'm sure they'll have some good advice.

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 5
I agree with fran that this may well not be the motor, it could be the power supply (especially if its a Valhalla ps). BTW the Valhalla is no longer available from Linn, but you can find them on ebay and, of course, you have the option of upgrading. I understand your frustration--perhaps there is someone who can help you diagnose the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back