Linn Genki
Mar 27, 2003 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Andrew Pielet

500+ Head-Fier
I just auditioned this player in my system last night, and it is one sweet piece of equipment. I have a few more to audition, but this player almost has me sold already! Other players I plan on checking out: Arcam CD92, Rotel RCD-1070 or 991, Cary 303, Naim CD5, MMF-25. My usual system: Audio Valve tube mono's 75w, Angstrom Preamp, MMG's. Headphone: Sony D-77, Meta42. There is alot to say but there is one feature that I am growing to love. The Genki has 4 sets of outputs, 2 fixed, and 2 variable. One thing you can do is just get an amp and some speakers, and have an inexpensive 2 channel set up in a different room by using the varible output and volume on the Genki. Then when you have more cash, you can get a preamp at later date. I thought the varible vol. was really cool because I could hook my Meta to the varible outputs, and use the Genki remote for volume. Nothing like sitting at the couch w/ remote volume headphones! The HDCD decoding was truly unbelievable. Yes, it was the first time I have ever heard it, but I do have about 20 HDCD's. That is why my CD player choices have this as a requirement. I am not doing a comparison, because my source is really bad. A few noticable things about the Genki. The resolution is very noticable, due to the way low noise floor. I think this is due to the jitter reducing technology, which my cheap player has none (or so it seems). It had an airy quality to it, but this is my first taste of a good source, so it could be a good "airiness". I also had my speakers set up way closer than usual (at a friends request) so that could of been the cause. Anywho, varible output rocks.

Mar 27, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 7
I also own a Linn Genki and can affirm its one badass cd player. Even though its a 3 year old design (1999) its one of the more "musical" cd players I've got to audition. Way better than the sony d-25s i was using =P Haven't used the variable outputs, but the ability to hook it straight to an amp to drive speakers is appealing.

Chefbeldar

Mar 27, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 7
The Genki is a great player... I auditioned it extensively and really liked it. I ended up with an Arcam FMJ23, but only because it matched with my system a little better, but I like the Genki better on other systems better.

One other one that you may want to audition is the Rega Jupiter- an excellent player and very easy to listen to. It's in the same price range that you're looking in.

Mar 27, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Pielet
Drewski, you sure you didn't get the Arcam cause it's your birthdate? (23, ha ha)

tongue.gif
- Busted!

Geez, are my reviews/comment so bad people think that I choose equipment with model numbers that match my birthday???

By the way, 23 is Michael Jordan's number and that's why I chose it!
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2003 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Hey, I have auditioned both the CD-92 and the Genki on my system too, and I like them both. It seems to me that the Genki was, well, more genki, which means lively/spirited in Japanese. In any case, it had a larger soundstage, but I really liked the 92 as well. My source is very good, a conrad-johnson CAV-50, but it is pretty forgiving. The only thing I dislike about the genki is that its perceived build quality is pretty bad. It weighs about 2 pounds, just like a piece of plastic. The arcam is much more substantial. I think I am going to end up with a used conrad johnson DV2b. I love the cj sound, and I would love to pickup one of their cd players before they all disappear (they have been discontinued). Anyway, if I had to go for one of the two, I think the genki is a better player than the 92, but not by much, I would imagine that the FMJ would beat it, and since the 92 and 23 were just discontinued, you can get very good deals. the 23 should be the same price as the 92's retail or better, and the 92 should be offered at a substantial discount. At this point, I think it is a better value. Good luck,
Stu

edit: If I were you, I would try the 303, I imagine it will trounce both the genki and the arcam. That said, I have not heard it. It is a more expensive player though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back