Linksys Router won't hard reset?
Jul 11, 2008 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
I was resetting it because it was set-up as a secure network. My Touch won't work with it secured, so I decided I turn the security features off and disable everything. It still showed up as a secure network when either my laptop or the Touch was looking for networks. Refreshed networks lists, still showed up as secure, and still prompts for a UID and PW.

Tried holding the reset button for 30 seconds. Power light flashes, nothing changes.

Tried holding the reset button for a minute. Power light flashes, nothing changes.

Tried holding the rest button for 30 seconds, while holding it, unplugging the power. Plugged it back in, nothing changes.

So uh.....what now? It has the latest firmware on it from linksys....What?

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 17
I did all that. It's the reason I'm trying to hard reset, cause it won't "reset to default" in the 192 page. Well it says it did, but the network still shows up as secured and still prompts for a password.

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 17
Model including version number please.
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did all that. It's the reason I'm trying to hard reset, cause it won't "reset to default" in the 192 page. Well it says it did, but the network still shows up as secured and still prompts for a password.

Easier with a model number. Is there a "secure this network button" on the top of the router. But it should still disengage that after you hard reset it.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 17
It's a WRT54G v2.

I updated the firmware to 4.21.1 (IIRC, I'm not on the PC right now).

It's weird because after I hard reset, all the wep passwords that are generated are gone, and everything security wise is disabled. So it should be an unsecure network. But it still shows up as a secure one when searched for. I try to put in the WEP and it's invalid.

Also, when I change the SSID, it won't change on the network list. I know that it's my linksys showing up, because when I search for a network with the router unplugged, it doesn't show up in the list. So it's not changing the SSID either.

So, I put in the old wep key in the 192 settings page, and then try to log-on wirelessly, and voila, it works. So it's accepting and savings settings, but it just won't get off of secure mode, even though the 192 page indicated otherwise...

Also, the funny thing about when connected wirelessly, is although it shows up in the wireless networks in range, it says "automatic", but there's a connect button, like it's not connected. If I press connect, it tries to connect and just stays at "aquiring network address". But it is connected, because I'm browsing the web and everything via the settings I put in under configuring the network manually.

Weirdest situation I've ever seen.

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 17
I don't think it does. It asks specifically for a WPA/WEP key.

How much better are those firmwares? Specifically, what differences will I see?

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 17
I had the exact same router as you and I loved DDWRT it adds a lot of cool features if you like tinkering with that kind of thing.
This site has most of the info you'll need to know before you begin: What is DD-WRT? - DD-WRT Wiki

I changed over to a 1TB Apple Time Capsule so my WRT54G is collecting dust right now.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it does. It asks specifically for a WPA/WEP key.

How much better are those firmwares? Specifically, what differences will I see?

Not only do they add tons of features, they are vastly more stable than the linksys firmware. WPA is WPA-TKIP (or WPA-AES), so that would be a yes. Slap DDWRT or Tomato on there (go Tomato I tells ya!) and setup WPA. Never look back and enjoy your new feature rich and rock solid router.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 17
DDWRT has a glut of features that most people don't need. Tomato is lighter, more responsive, and a lot of people prefer its UI as well. The only reasons I'd use DDWRT over Tomato is if I needed some super technical feature not in Tomato (hasn't been the case yet) or due to Tomato's limited hardware support.

It's not like Tomato is lacking in the feature department either. It has most everything you need like QoS, DDNS, Static DHCP, performance graphs, the list goes on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back