Linksys Router Questions
Dec 31, 2004 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jwramp

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a standard BEFSR41 linksys router, and i plugit into my dsl modem, then connect through it using the router. My internet works beautifully like this, and through a wireless access point connected to the router (also linksys). I've got one problem with it, though... it won't let my sister connect to her hotmail account (when she logs in, the page just times out) and it won't let me send mail from my gmail account (i can recieve and read mail just fine). I was wondering if this was just something wrong with my router and i needed to get a new one, or if there was a quick fix for this...
thanks!

Dec 31, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Sounds like you've got a SSL problem, seeing as how both GMail and Hotmail utilize that. Do you have online banking, eBay/PayPal, or anything else secure? If so, try logging into those. If those don't work, you've got a SSL problem. One thing you may want to try is checking your router's config to see if port 443 (TCP) is open. That's SSL. It shouldn't be closed, but you never can tell. Also, is your DSL modem also a router, such as some of the Westell line? Check that as well, if it is.

Jan 2, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 7
yeah, i use firefox, but the rest of my family uses IE.... it doesn't seem to make any difference...also tried on an apple powerbook on the wi-fi, to no avail....will try messing with the ssl, but we recently had a power outage and the wallwart for it got fried.....getting a new one...

Jan 7, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 7
i got it fixed...the funniest thing.... in the advanced settings tab under filters, for the MTU setting, i had to enable it (it already was) and set it to 1300 ( it was like 1493 or something) and this fixed everything!.....kinda strange.

Jan 7, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 7
So SSL packets were fragmenting? Odd indeed. BTW, the value you cited would have been 1472 almost certainly, since you're running DSL. Add 28 for the IP/ICMP header, and you've got 1500, maximum size. Occasionally, but rarely with PPPoE, you can manage a 1492 MTU (+8 for the wrapper), but it's not very common. Doesn't matter much; you won't see a speed difference between the two.

Still, it's odd that SSL didn't work when everything else did. Generally, it either fragments or it doesn't. I've never heard of a certain protocol not working. I'll keep this in mind, though - I had a client for my repair business who couldn't sign into anything SSL. I eventually gave up and just reformatted it, since no one on any forums, nor Google turned up anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back