Lineouts: 4th gen iMod vs iPod Classic
Oct 15, 2007 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
I am very curious how iPod classic lineout compares to 4th generation iMod. The Classic is said to have the best lineout among all stock iPods, so I'm very curious about its capabilities.

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 11
Ummm, I don't think so, unless I missed that post. Vinnie's original post compared the classic (6G) to the imod 5.5G with ALO V-Cap dock cable, and preferred the 5.5g imod. Others have compared the 4g imod, but I can't remember now who they were or what their opinions were.

Here's what Vinnie said in his original post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I have here to compare the line-out of the 6G to is my 5.5G iMod line-out feeding the ALO Vcap Dock. I've only spent around 1 to 2 hours of listening to these two units, but so far I already prefer the sound of the iMod 5.5G with Vcap dock... there is a little more weight in the bottom and the top-end is a little warmer/sweeter sounding. The 6G is a little thinner sounding in comparison.

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 11
I did this comparison this weekend and found the 4 gen iMod to be cleaner and clearer. The instrument seperation and soundstage is a bit better on the iMod. The Classic sounds a bit muddy compared to the iMod. For me however the battery life and hard drive size of the Classic outweigh the SQ benefit of the iMod for portable/transportable use. If it was my main rig I would definately keep the iMod though, I still may.

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks chopstxx. I remember as well Vinnie's comparison between the 5th gen iMod and the Classic. Are the difference in SQ between 4th gen and Classic very noriceable, or minor?

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 11
If you're listening critically the difference is pretty noticable. I was testing with a Mini^3 and my HD650's. With the Classic everything is a bit muddier and the veil is more appearent. With the iMod I don't really notice any veil. I don't personally believe that the HD650's are veiled, just that some systems aren't powerful/clear enough to drive them properly. With the Classic you get this feeling, with the iMod you might, but its to a much lesser degree.

Oct 15, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by htbyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ummm, I don't think so, unless I missed that post. Vinnie's original post compared the classic (6G) to the imod 5.5G with ALO V-Cap dock cable, and preferred the 5.5g imod. Others have compared the 4g imod, but I can't remember now who they were or what their opinions were.

Here's what Vinnie said in his original post:

What was I drinking? ...
blink.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 11
but remember, i heard that vinnie will not make a 6g imod simply because it won't be worth the effort/price for a very little boost in SQ.

i'm here representing Team Cheap-Fi
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 11
I current use the CT570 or iPod 3g with the Hornet, is it worth to get a Classic considering the lineout quality?

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Classic sounds much better than the standard 5g line out. Soundstage isn't congested at all like the 5g was. It's very wide and open. There are tons of reviews of the sound quality on the classic.

Couldn't disagree more. The 5G sounds better to me in every way except for possibly bass impact. The superiority of the Classic is nowhere near a foregone conclusion; there's plenty of people out there not happy with its sound. (And then there's the people who don't hear any difference at all, which is frankly beyond me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back