Linear power supply for THX 789?
Apr 28, 2021 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

xxicrimsonixx

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I was just wondering if this was worth it? ($130 CAD)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001143407169.html

It should be plenty of power for a THX 789.

I was just wondering what are the potential gains for switching to a linear power supply over the standard SMPS?

Ideally some things I would like to see are some added detail, and cleanliness to the sound, although other improvements are welcome aswell.

Any thoughts? About what I wrote, or your own?

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 16
It won't hurt, but I don't think you really need it for thx789
I'm using a vintage DT 880S in balance, so I often push the amp near it's limits (depending on the song, I can near max the volume on high gain).

I think the combination of not only more amperage available, and also cleaner power, will have good results.. at least that's my opinion.. Will be interesting to see for sure!

Being fed XLR from Geshelli JNOG.

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 16
I'm using a vintage DT 880S in balance, so I often push the amp near it's limits (depending on the song, I can near max the volume on high gain).

I think the combination of not only more amperage available, and also cleaner power, will have good results.. at least that's my opinion.. Will be interesting to see for sure!

Being fed XLR from Geshelli JNOG.
So any update? I'm hesitating too, your feedback would help me.

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 16
Hi guys.

At last, I've found confirmation of my own findings re upgrading the less-than-overwhelming stock 30V (24V for the 789) wall wart SMPS for the DROP THX AAA...in my case the SE 'ONE' version. And I refer to an extremely reasonably priced Chinese "Ultra Low Noise" LPS, similar it would appear to the sort already mentioned.

As I had a spare 120VA 15V unit over, after making just one do duties for both my Chord TT2 and mscaler, it was a no brainer for replacing an inevitable weak link in the DROP amps. And the transformation was way beyond expectation, surpassing direct HP out from TT2 by a significant margin...in all areas you can name. Even after many weeks down the road I still cannot believe either what the LPS has achieved here or the true capabilities of the ridiculously cheap 'ONE'...and I have spent a good part of my last few years on head-fi assessing performance of a myriad different tubes in tube amps before going SS...more so than enjoyable 'listening' even! :frowning2:

Hopefully my DIY cable efforts have also helped somewhat (using Neotech Teflon coated solid UP-OCC silver and copper wires)...a nice benefit in using such an LPS that doesn't have captive leads.

For anyone interested I posted much more indepth info on 2 other threads : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/drop-thx-aaa-one-linear-amp-transformation-david-v-goliath.961629/
and : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-tt2-mscaler-budget-ss-amp-unheralded-results.961826/

ps. My particular LPS is now $78 on ebay.com, with $40 shipping...crazy price for something that looks pretty well made for a fraction of what I'd have to pay for anything home grown, and has performed flawlessly for about a year now on my Chords. I had to also get a (very) cheap DC-DC Buck step up/down converter for 30V, but it appears one can ask for a specific voltage at the outset.

pps. My headphones are 32Ohm Meze Empyreans which seem ideally suited to the 'ONE's apparently even higher (SE) output at this impedance than the 789(?).

In short, this amp - with upgraded PS, and in my own system, is about the best value addition I've ever made...by far!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 16
Darn. What price range was the PSU? for 120w it must have been around 250-300.
Do you think that upgrading the aviator cable made a difference?
Hi Starfox.

These Chinese LPSs can be had for under £80, incl shipping!...as per the link by @xxicrimsonixx . Mine was from ebay.com : https://www.ebay.com/itm/273758162129?

The one I listed also says can custom the required voltage - my 'ONE' is 30V, the 789 24V (which xx's link lists). And I suspect these amps don't really need 120W PS anyway?...the 'ONE' needing only about 30W.

And I personally have always preferred to upgrade any power cable I can possibly replace lol!...including the connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back