Line outs - a headphone amp newbie question...
Sep 12, 2002 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
Ok. My PCDP has a line-out, no problem. However, I only just realized that my portable MD player/recorder does not have a line out.

I had assumed I could configure the headphone jack on the N707 just the same as the N1. But apparently, Sony restricts the line-out menu setting to their top of the line.

I've been planning on getting an MDLP player only unit (one of the 10th anniversary models) for portable use because the player-only units are generally smaller.

In the meantime, will using the headphone out degrade the sound? By how much? Exactly how does a line-out differ from a headphone out on a portable (apart from the adjustable volume)?

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 12
Enough for me to spend half a day today tring to find a portable CD player with a line out. While each unit is different, I have found that with the last Sony I have owned, without line-out, that there was a serious degradation of sound through both a headphone amp or self-powered speakers, in fact more so with the speakers than the headphone amp. Some of this may be just impedance mismatches, but you are going through an extra and unnecessary amplifier stage in using a headphone output instead of a line out.

Sep 13, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 12
"As far as i know, no play-only md units have a line-out feature, certainly not recent models"

Not even like the menu-selected line out feature on the N1? Hmmm...

Sep 13, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 12
the n1 has a real line out. some people said that it is just full volume with the eq set to flat. well, they're inaccurate. i tried testing this using the senn mx500. because the phones have volume option on the cable, i adjusted it to low while putting the n1 to full volume and turned off the eq. then while the track was still playing, i turned on the line-out option. it was definitely more powerful and more clearer. so if the n1 has a line out, i don't see why the n10 won't have one. i'm not so sure about the e10, though.

Sep 13, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 12
note that i have an MD recorder that DOES have a dedicated line out, since it is a model from a few years ago.

it is slightly damaged (clam shell design, lid has slight cosmetic dent, but still functions like new). I am going to be putting it up on Gear for sale soon....

btw it is the sony mz-r37, and includes a display remote i bought separately, a case logic carry case, and over 10 blank MD's...

btw: about the n1, it does not have a dedicated line out. its line out goes through the headphones jack, and through the internal headphone amp....

Sep 13, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 12
There was only a single portable MD player that had a dedicated line-out jack, and it was releasted in 1992 or 1994
smily_headphones1.gif
Every other player ever made has just a headphone jack.

Lots of the older portable recorders had real line-out jacks.

Sep 13, 2002 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 12
???????????? then can you explain what's with the n1's line-out? i hope you could test it yourself. anybody?

Sep 13, 2002 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Tina
???????????? then can you explain what's with the n1's line-out? i hope you could test it yourself. anybody?

The N1 is a recorder, not a player.

Sep 13, 2002 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 12
ooops...me bad. i was thinkin units in general. i wonder why they don't put in line-outs in players anymore. any speacial reasons perhaps?

Sep 20, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 12
Well. I'm picking up a used MZ-R900 to use as a second player with lineout for use with an amp and my SR80s. This might be better for me than selling my n707 and buying an N1. It will be nice to have a second MDLP recorder/player so one can record while I listen off the other.

Sep 22, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 12
Using a headphone out to a portable amp is a hit and miss proposition (usually miss). The one exception to this, at least in my experience, are the Sharp SR-series MD recorders. These Sharps have no dedicated line out - or even a switchable electronic "line out" setting, but they do sound just fine through a portable amp if you set the volume between 70-80%. This sounds MUCH better than the dedicated line out on my Sony D-EJ 721 PCDP. Go figure.

(The recent Sony PCDPs all seem to suffer from a permanent compression that just cannot be defeated. I should also add that I bought my Sharps in Europe; I wonder if the models for sale in Europe are balanced differently than those in the US. I did hear a friend's US-purchased SR70, and it indeed seemed darker in sound than mine did, which seems much more neutral, as do my two SR50s. A quick comparison of the output settings in service mode would settle the matter!)

I did once come across a link (from minidisc.org, I think) that showed how to (with various MD models) go into service mode and defeat/change the tone settings. This can be done on any model, if you know what you are doing and are willing to take the risks inherent to entering service mode. I didn't try it, as I saw no real need to (it sounded fine as it was).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back