line-out with no amp? :::
May 24, 2002 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

badtz

100+ Head-Fier
what happens if you plug in a headphone into a line-out without using an amp........

a normally easy to drive headphones, like a koss ksc-35 for example...........

thanks.......... don't have equipment to test this
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 11
You will hear sound. It won't be particularly loud, depending on the impedence and sensitivity of the headphones. As you turn it up, it will begin to distort heavily. Even below the active distortion level, the bass will be uncontrolled and weak, and you'll get a lot of harmonic distortion from the lack of electromagnetic dampning control.

A line out is intended to feed a signal to a source. It is not expecting to 'drive' a mechanical device, so when forced to handle the impedence of a headphone, it simply doesn't have the voltage swing OR the current output necessary.

Try it if you want sometime, its an interesting experiment. Its basically a very obvious result of what happens when an amp isn't strong enough to control what its driving.

Peace,
phidauex

May 24, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 11
can it mess up your equipment?

thanks for the quick response!
smily_headphones1.gif

much appreciated!!!

do you happen to know if the ipod has a true line-out or an emulated line-out? :wink:

May 24, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 11
Um, based on all the line outs i've tried directly to a pair of headphones...you cannot control the volume of the line out, the volume will be rather low, so their really is no use for the line out unless you have an amp.

May 24, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, line out should not have volume control. It's supposed to be a voltage source to feed an amp, or pre-amp, which then applies some amperage boost. Not designed to drive anything except an amp. Shouldn't hurt anything, but will probably sound like ****.

Simplification

May 25, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Um, based on all the line outs i've tried directly to a pair of headphones...you cannot control the volume of the line out, the volume will be rather low, so their really is no use for the line out unless you have an amp.

ditto.

At least on my electronics. . .

May 27, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 11
my rio 250 can control the volume on the line out.. as well as the eq... but yes, it gets very distorted and sounds pretty bad with a headphone plugged in... is this bad? i plan on getting an airhead for it...

May 27, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Badtz
can it mess up your equipment?

it mess up your ears first, then make you worry about your equipment.
Quote:

do you happen to know if the ipod has a true line-out or an emulated line-out? :wink:

Only a headphone out for the iPod, though Apple suggest a volume setting of midway for hooking up to a stereo.

May 28, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 11
a1,
I got a slimx and use the line out also. I don't get the hiss like from the remote, but I do get hiss on certain recordings.
Since I use it primarily for mp3s with open cans, I don't find it to be bad at all. In fact, since I can pack my amp, slimx, and a couple of cds in one case, only having to worry about the remote is cool. If you are putting an amp there, not to worry. The sound is good.
I have decided the cmoy amp I built will not have a volume control on it, since I can control it via the remote.
I have tried setting the eq to flat, and found I am too used to my user settings.
That may be blasphemous, but it suits me.
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back