Line-Out Vs Audio out with Dedicated Amplification
Dec 22, 2006 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Advil

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been contemplating getting a Line-Out for my iPod, and a DAC for my computer in order to get an unamplified signal directly to my dedicated amps. But my ideas may be wrong.. From what I know, a line-out is just an unamplified signal, whereas an Audio-out is a (usually badly) amplified signal. So by using the Audio-Out to an amp, you're just amplifying an already crappy signal some more, but if you use a Line-Out, you're taking a pure signal and amplifying it nicely.. is this correct?

So a Line-Out from a CDP, iPod or anything should be better for those reasons alone, correct?

For now I use my Brookstone CD player > Line-out > little dot II++

Theres no digital out to hook up to an external DAC so I'm using the integrated one.

Dec 23, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 11
I have an iPod Photo 60GB with the dock which uses the line out from the iPod. This set up allows me to directly attach a headphone at a high but acceptable listening level coming from the dock. A/Bing this with the headphone out shows that the line out is significantly better that the audio out. When I add my Hornet into the equation, everythinhg gets better, but I'm still stuck with a decernably degraded signal through the audio out.

From what I have read, the line out from the Photo is some some of the best SQ of all the iPods, so your results may vary somewhat from mine is you are using a different model.

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 11
Regarding this question, I remember an experienced headfier once carried out an experiment to AB the ipod's headphone out and lineout( with pocket dock or sik ram din, no fancy audiophile level lineout cable was available at that time). He did not find any significant difference between the two, using pretty decent amps. My own experience is that a good amp would improve things noticably from both lineout and headphone out. The lineout may be a little better but I don't think the difference is big enough to be picked up in a blind test.

On the other hand, using my Zhaolu DAC, I can easily notice the narrower soundstage among other things with my headphone amp connected to the preamped output.

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 11
The iPod's line-out is a disputed topic; I've read a lot of people saying that the line-out sounds exactly the same as the headphone-out (though I'm not sure which model this is; maybe all of them...?). I also remember reading something about the iPod's headphone-out not being amplified at all...

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 11
I don't know the technical details about electronics/op amps etc, so I can only report about what I have read of these. You would have to get the specific details from someone else. From what I have read the 4th gen iPods (including my 60GB Photo) have superior internal components to most other iPods. I believe that this is one reason the Redwine Mod (at $200) is even offered for 4th gen. models.

But for my 4th gen Photo, the line out is clearly superior to the audio out.

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 11
PS. Maybe I should include that I primarily listen through Senn 580's, so this might make a difference (over someone who was using lower quality cans to do a comparison).

(I have KSC75's but just haven't done the A/Bing with those.)

Dec 23, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 11
I noticed a large difference when I moved from the headphone-out to the line-out on my 5G iPod. The differences were mainly in clarity of the signal and detail. When I sold my two LODs, I had a period of downtime while I waited for the Cryo, and was thus forced to listen through the head-out...it sounded like I was listening to squashed music...when the Cryo finally came, the biggest impact was that the sound finally opened up again.

Dec 23, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Are they both amped? If so would you consider the possibility that what makes the biggest difference may be the superior cable used in the cryo LOD? Also if you are using rockbox, adjust the volume to level 0 would match the lineout volumewise, and that'll make it a fairer comparison. I don't have a 5G ipod so things might be different but for my 4G amping from headphone out sounds pretty darn good too,
biggrin.gif
. BTW I mainly use supermacro IV/PPA with senn. HD600 and AKG K501.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed a large difference when I moved from the headphone-out to the line-out on my 5G iPod. The differences were mainly in clarity of the signal and detail. When I sold my two LODs, I had a period of downtime while I waited for the Cryo, and was thus forced to listen through the head-out...it sounded like I was listening to squashed music...when the Cryo finally came, the biggest impact was that the sound finally opened up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back