line-out volume control for ipod?
Sep 5, 2005 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Shmuel

100+ Head-Fier
hope someone can help

seems to me i had read some weeks ago about a volume control which is used to control the line-out volume of the ipod. i thought it was made by Shure, though cannot find anything on their website

can anyone help?

thanks,
Shmuel

Sep 5, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 30
Being able to adjust the volume of the line out kind of negates the benefit of having it. Why not just use the headphone out if you want a adjustable volume level? I think you may be just looking for some sort of inline volume control (just an inline potientometer essentially) in which case, you can find one just about anywhere (its not an iPod specific thing). I think radioshack even sells one. Can you be more specific with what you need it for?

Sep 5, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 30
sure, and thanks for the help

i have been reading about the improved sound in ipod by using the line-out.
i received my sik cable which allows me to plug my headphone into the line-out.
it sure seems to sound better, but the sound level is much too high to listen to....was hoping for something to lessen the volume without lessening the sound quality of the line-out
thought i would do this, and decide about a portable amp in the coming month or two

thanks again for any comments of ideas

Shmuel

Sep 5, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 30
Hi Shmuel...
Maybe yoou have read that information on this thread (which I have started)?

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...E4+iPod+TREBLE

I haven't tried yet this path:
line out > attenuator > earphones
but the positve comments about sound quality are making me decide for a pocketdock...

Which earphones are you using?
I have heard that using the line out may result in a "thinner" sound (and with the E4c a sound thinner than the standard out would be a problem)... Have you noticed this problem?

Sep 6, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shmuel
sure, and thanks for the help

i have been reading about the improved sound in ipod by using the line-out.
i received my sik cable which allows me to plug my headphone into the line-out.
it sure seems to sound better, but the sound level is much too high to listen to....was hoping for something to lessen the volume without lessening the sound quality of the line-out
thought i would do this, and decide about a portable amp in the coming month or two

thanks again for any comments of ideas

Shmuel

Once you go the line-out route on the ipod (either with the sik or pocketdock), you really should be using an amp. As I understand it, the line-out signal is pure (bypasses the internal amplification that would normally go to the headphone jack), but still requires modification before it gets to your ears. This can be the volume control on a set of speakers, a headphone amplifier, or an inline potientometer/volume attenuator. I believe the amp is the way to go to get the true benefit of your ipod and quality headphones.

Sep 6, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Once you go the line-out route on the ipod (either with the sik or pocketdock), you really should be using an amp. As I understand it, the line-out signal is pure (bypasses the internal amplification that would normally go to the headphone jack), but still requires modification before it gets to your ears. This can be the volume control on a set of speakers, a headphone amplifier, or an inline potientometer/volume attenuator. I believe the amp is the way to go to get the true benefit of your ipod and quality headphones.

Someone who really knows what they're talking about should chime in here, but I really don't think line out to headphones will be a very satisfying solution even w/ the appropriate attenuator.
Yes, line out is a better signal to provide to an amp rather than a headphone out (which already has an amp). But that is to feed an amp.
That doesn't mean it's a better way to feed headphones. Just my opinion. Attenuators aren't that expensive so maybe it's worth a try but I think if that was really the best way to listen to an iPod, alot more people would be doing it by now.
CPW

Sep 6, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Just to be clear, using an amp with an ipod is [nearly] a waste unless the dock/line-out is taken advantage of. IMO, of course.

Agreed.
You can, however, drive headphones that an Ipod would be hard pressed to drive using the headphone out to feed that amp.
The sound quality won't improve but the ability to drive tougher loads will.
CPW
PS It's very important to get the volume level right when using the iPod's headphone out to feed an amp's input.

Sep 6, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 30
thanks to all for all the info

when i was single some years ago, i enjoyed home stereo
now married, thank G-d, 6 years, the stereo system is gone and my 'stereo closet' is now the 'kitchen closet'

somewhat recently, i have decided to try to put together a portable system which will allow me to listen when otherwise i wouldn't have the time, nor the space for the home audio equipment

to this end, i purchased the sensaphonics some months ago and have been thrilled with both the sound as well as the customer service.
In reading all the interesting posts in this forum, i am now trying the line-out and also trying to narrow the field re: portable amp purchase in the coming months

i am unable to listen to the line-out with my sensaphonics--much too loud.
With my sony 71's i can listen to some songs. Seems to me that the sound tightens up in a positive way, when using the line-out. Ultimately, i am hoping to use the shure volume attenuator with my sensaphonics--hoping to improve the sound for a sum total of $14.95

in (hopefully, near) future, i will listen to Ray's 71 and Hornet. I live in chicago, not far from Ray. This should help re: line-out with the shure attenuator vs. one of the amps from Ray.

thanks for listening and appreciate your thoughts on any of the above
your advice is much appreciated

Shmuel

Sep 6, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shmuel
thanks to all for all the info

when i was single some years ago, i enjoyed home stereo
now married, thank G-d, 6 years, the stereo system is gone and my 'stereo closet' is now the 'kitchen closet'

somewhat recently, i have decided to try to put together a portable system which will allow me to listen when otherwise i wouldn't have the time, nor the space for the home audio equipment

to this end, i purchased the sensaphonics some months ago and have been thrilled with both the sound as well as the customer service.
In reading all the interesting posts in this forum, i am now trying the line-out and also trying to narrow the field re: portable amp purchase in the coming months

i am unable to listen to the line-out with my sensaphonics--much too loud.
With my sony 71's i can listen to some songs. Seems to me that the sound tightens up in a positive way, when using the line-out. Ultimately, i am hoping to use the shure volume attenuator with my sensaphonics--hoping to improve the sound for a sum total of $14.95

in (hopefully, near) future, i will listen to Ray's 71 and Hornet. I live in chicago, not far from Ray. This should help re: line-out with the shure attenuator vs. one of the amps from Ray.

thanks for listening and appreciate your thoughts on any of the above
your advice is much appreciated

Shmuel

For $45.05 more, you could buy a pocket amp V2, and truly take advantage of the line-out and your headphones in one purchase.
icon10.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 30
Shmuel, you really should get an amp. It cost is an issue, the Pocketamp V2 might be a good idea, or the Xenos 0HA is a nice little amp for $45 as well. I recommend it. Of course a more expensive amp will sound better, but the sound from an iPod Line out with a 0HA will blow the doors off the iPod's own headphone out for relatively little money.

PS: did I buy a VdH Frog from you?
600smile.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 30
What doyou mean by Quote:

PS It's very important to get the volume level right when using the iPod's headphone out to feed an amp's input.

When I plug my SR-60's ito my SIK line out the volume is actually quite low.

Sep 7, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 30
thanks, Gratefulshrink, for the advice
will consider

and skylab, how are you? hope the turntable and frog are being enjoyed
can you give me any info on the amp you recommended--nothing much from google. And please say hello to your wife

thanks all
Shmuel

Sep 7, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 30
As I asked earlier, How come everyone seems to think the line out is loud. On both my ST-60's and HD600's, its moderate at best. Is there a way to adjust the line out output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back