Line Out to RCA help
Jan 2, 2010 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

unl3a5h3d

500+ Head-Fier
I know I have made several threads lately but I just want to make sure I have everything straight in my head lol.

I am wanting to make something like this.
ALOupoccRCA.jpg

I want the same look, and I want it 2ft long. I have found the following on how to make a LOD.

DIY Guide for LOD

But it only tells you how to make one for 3.5mm and I want RCA. My question is on the Ipod connector end where do the wires go? Like which wires go to which pin? And also I want to make sure I have the right parts.

I found the following:

Line Out
Wire

And just probably a pair of Neutrik or Switchcraft RCA ends. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 25
I found this. Okay here is what I think I have:

It says pin 3 is the R +, so I would solder the wire to pin 3 and the other end to the + on the Right RCA. And pin 4 is the L + and solder the other end to the Left + on the RCA.

For ground do I solder both ground wires to pin 1 and the other end of each wire to a RCA?

And what do I have to do to get this to work with the newer touches and stuff? I know they require extra pins but which ones and what do I do with them? Thanks.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 25
I guess I could as a last resort but I would really love to learn how to start making cables. I think I have everything right I was just wanting to double check.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It says pin 3 is the R +, so I would solder the wire to pin 3 and the other end to the + on the Right RCA. And pin 4 is the L + and solder the other end to the Left + on the RCA.

For ground do I solder both ground wires to pin 1 and the other end of each wire to a RCA?

Correct.

Quote:

And what do I have to do to get this to work with the newer touches and stuff? I know they require extra pins but which ones and what do I do with them? Thanks.

Bridge pin 12 and 16.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct.

Bridge pin 12 and 16.

By bridge do you just mean like get a small piece of wire and solder the 2 pins together and to nothing else?

And how do the parts I have look, if they are good I will order Monday.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 25
Yes, just use a piece of wire to solder them. You can simply bend the pins together and solder, they are very close.

The parts you mentioned are all good. Just keep in mind the silver wire is solid and pretty stiff, which might be difficult to braid.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Yes, just use a piece of wire to solder them. You can simply bend the pins together and solder, they are very close.

The parts you mentioned are all good. Just keep in mind the silver wire is solid and pretty stiff, which might be difficult to braid.

Okay sweet. I think I will try that wire though because I can't find anything like it for the price. One last question, what solder do I need to use with that wire? Thanks.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

I always use Cardas Quad Eutectic for whatever kind of wires. It melts like butter and very easy to solder.

Okay sweet. I will probably order Monday, any suggestions on RCA? I will probably use either Neutrik or Switchcraft.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 25
I have just recieved my parts
biggrin.gif
. I have 2 questions though.

1) On the ipod connector how do I take the pins out or do I leave them in?

2) Will I leave all of the pins in when I am done or just the ones being use?

Thanks.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

I have just recieved my parts
biggrin.gif
. I have 2 questions though.

1) On the ipod connector how do I take the pins out or do I leave them in?

2) Will I leave all of the pins in when I am done or just the ones being use?

Thanks.

You can just leave them and work with the pins you need but it'd be much more difficult to solder.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

You can just leave them and work with the pins you need but it'd be much more difficult to solder.

Okay to pull them out, do I just...pull? And how do I know which is pin 1 as in how to i tell which end is the beginning and which is the end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back