Line Out Problem?
Oct 12, 2004 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

phil2dot6

New Head-Fier
I've just recently bought a Chaintech AV710 from eBay for $25, but after 30 days from the time I purchased the item, the line in burnt out. Here's the story... Since my speakers were plugged into my soundcard, and I didn't want to use the speaker's line out to plug in my headphones, I took out the speaker cables from the AV710's. I then plugged in my newly bought Shure E2C's to test them out. After a few more minutes, I unplugged the canal-phones and plugged back in the speakers, however, the right channel wasn't working. I then made sure that it wasn't just my speakers, and plugged back in the Shures to check the right channel. After plugging them in, everything then was muted. I checked to make sure it wasn't my computer's fault; it turned out that it was the sound card's fault.

I then uninstalled the Envy drivers and plugged my soundcard into a different PCI slot. Installed the drivers again, and nothing worked still. I then uninstalled the drivers and plugged the AV710's in the original slot and installed the drivers once again. No luck. I took out the soundcard and flipped on my onboard sound to make sure my equipment didn't die on me. Thank goodness my headphones and speakers were still operational. However, now, I have a soundcard with a bad line out. I emailed Chaintech about this five days ago, and they gave me a reply:

"Make sure that you plugged in your speakers to the green jack."

So now, how do I work out the warranty details? Their site doesn't specify, nor give any addresses as to where I should send out my bad soundcard for repairs or a replacement. Please help me out!

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 2
sounds like you shorted the output of the line section by plugging-unplugging while the power was on.

No,it should not happen and a simple resistor on the output of the card would have prevented it (if this is why it broke) but a lot of amp damage comes from the momentary short you CAN get with a phone (full size or mini) jack when you plug in while the output is live.Nature of the jack design

Users who are viewing this thread

Back