Line out on the Creative Zen Vision:M? Yes!
Mar 28, 2006 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

campbell

New Head-Fier
edit: WARNING! There is a chance that this could damage your equipment! Apparently Creative messed with the A/V out so that you couldn't use generic 3.5mm->3xRCA AV cables (so they could sell you there own expensive version). As far as I can tell using a regular 3.5mm audio jack might leave you with a non-grounded signal, which could have unknown effects. See here:http://forums.creative.com/creativel...essage.id=9905 and a pic here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...iringguide.jpg

My apologies for getting peoples hopes up. It looks like the proper way to get a true line out involves buying creatives A/V cable, or modifying a standard 3.5mm->3xRCA A/V cable.

Quote:

I was initially bitterly dissapointed to hear that the Vision:M lacked a true line out; the player has an a/v out (on the mini dock that comes standard with the player), but when you plug in a 3.5mm jack the screen blanks. However, if you go to 'System'>'Photo/Video Settings' you can set 'Video Out' to 'NTSC', 'PAL' or 'Off'.

When set to 'Off' you can then use the av out as just an audio line out, and still use the screen. I can confirm the volume of the av out socket is not affected by the volume the player is set at.

Mar 28, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 13
This I will have to try asap.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 13
Is the mini dock for the vision a good size and shape for being carried around for portable use, like the various miniature ipod docks?

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 13
Well, I tried the dock A/V out --> volume control that came with Shure e4c --> senns hd-25 route. *Love* the sound
biggrin.gif

Also can report that the AV cable from Archos AV120 appears to work OK, I got both picture and sound.

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 13
The screen of the player turns off when you plug in a cable. Would this happen with this mod?

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskywalker
The screen of the player turns off when you plug in a cable. Would this happen with this mod?

In campbells post he writes:

" if you go to 'System'>'Photo/Video Settings' you can set 'Video Out' to 'NTSC', 'PAL' or 'Off' "

This will keep the screen on.
----

I've tried using a standard mini stereo cable out of the dock into my Denon PMA-500V pre/main amp and it sounded great. A nice strong signal.

In my Ford F-150 I've been feeding the ZVM into my Eclipse HU via the analog aux. input using the headphone out.

This morning I tested the "line out" using the dock. The first song that played (in random mode) was a Spock's Beard song and it sounded fine but the next song was a seemingly more "quiet" song by Jane Monheit and it sounded as though the aux. input was overloaded.

I have yet to try the line out with a portable amp.

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by campbell
edit: WARNING! There is a chance that this could damage your equipment! Apparently Creative messed with the A/V out so that you couldn't use generic 3.5mm->3xRCA AV cables (so they could sell you there own expensive version). As far as I can tell using a regular 3.5mm audio jack might leave you with a non-grounded signal, which could have unknown effects. See here:http://forums.creative.com/creativel...essage.id=9905 and a pic here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...iringguide.jpg

My apologies for getting peoples hopes up. It looks like the proper way to get a true line out involves buying creatives A/V cable, or modifying a standard 3.5mm->3xRCA A/V cable.

IDK I was using a ZU Pivot mini to RCA for a while and it sounded great and didn't damage my Vision, ihave the regualr one though not the M so maybe it's different...

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 13
I've been using the subpack line-out with a standard rat-shack mini -> RCA since I bought the player. I didn't even know there was an issue. I was also confused when everyone said that you couldn't use the line-out without it turning the screen off, because for some reason I already had the video out set to 'off'. It sounds great going into my home stereo. At least as good as my old Rio Karma did.

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 13
I just have a dumb question. Why is it even necessary to rewire the grounds if at the plug all the grounds are already soldered to the same pole? For regular mini-mini cables, the ground on the 3.5mm audio plug is in contact with both the ground and the video (I think). When I plug-in to the A/V out I can hear "beep beep beep" coming out of my headphones when nothing is playing (similar situation on my laptop), did anyone experience the same thing?

Edit:
I should have read the first post more clearly. It works as a perfect line-out if you turn off the video-out function, no more buzz and beeps. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back