Line Out okay with no headphone out?
Dec 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ndwalker1

New Head-Fier
This is probably a stoopid question (I'm a newb)... so apologies if this has been asked and answered before.
I've got an Audio GD DAC that I like, that has no headphone output (NFB-17). Can I use the 'Line Outputs' (using an RCA to headphone jack adapter) so long as I am careful to make sure I've got the computer's output level adjusted correctly?
And is there any sonic down side to doing this?  Would I be better off buying a quality dedicated headphone amp (Schitt for example) and running the line outputs of the NFB to that?

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 3
  This is probably a stoopid question (I'm a newb)... so apologies if this has been asked and answered before.
I've got an Audio GD DAC that I like, that has no headphone output (NFB-17). Can I use the 'Line Outputs' (using an RCA to headphone jack adapter) so long as I am careful to make sure I've got the computer's output level adjusted correctly?
And is there any sonic down side to doing this?  Would I be better off buying a quality dedicated headphone amp (Schitt for example) and running the line outputs of the NFB to that?

By definition, Line-Out is not amplified.  It has no volume or attenuation control.  Using software to control this can be acceptable with limited equipment, but you will always sacrifice quality.  The software and OS will re-interpolate the bits of the music stream to reduce the audio level.  This may be noticeable or not, depending on your equipment, but it is a fact that it is a "sonic downside to doing this."

Yes, you would be better off with a dedicated headphone amp.  The Audio GD DAC is designed to be used with an amp, period.  It is a source-only device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back