line out / headphone out?
Nov 17, 2006 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Chivalry

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if theres any differnce between a line out and a headphone out socket on a DAP? if so.. how can u tell? and how does it effect playback if using a portable amp?
Looked at the spec sheet for my samsung YP-Z5 but couldent see anything about a line out?

thnx
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Well, I have an iRiver H340 which has a headphone out and a line-out and there is a clear difference between them in terms of sound. The headphone out should go through the internal amp of the dap and the line-out shouldn't, so the line-out is suitable for an external (eg portable) amp.

Nov 17, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 4
I theory, the lineout should provide a clearer signal that can be amplified by a better quality external amp. On my H140, I feel the lineout is a far superior signal than it's head-out.

Theory doesn't always hold in practice however...my old X5 sounded better using the head-out than the line-out every time. If comparing...use your own ears.

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 4
There's a reason that Vinnie at Red Wine Audio mods the 4G iPods headphone out and makes it a true line out. And then sells the mod to a whole bunch of people...like me. Its because the difference in sound quality is very apparent...and worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back