Line out from EMU0404 far too quiet
Jun 23, 2005 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mattpwill

100+ Head-Fier
I want to use the line out of the EMU0404 to connect it to my hifi, but the master volume and wave volume sliders in Windows XP are grayed out. Compared to any other source I've tried, including my motherboard integrated audio, it's really quiet. Is there a way to overcome this to get the full volume?

Thanks

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 13
Somethings wrong there then. I'd say the EMU 0404 ranks among one of the "loudest" sounding sources i've used.

BTW, your supposed to use patchmix to adjust the volume. Maybe try there.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 13
yep what pbirk said - those windows are greyed out now because your patchmix program now controls the volume. head over there and slide it up and you'll be fine!

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the reply. It sounds around 25dB quieter than when I run it digitally to my receiver. I'm pretty sure that something's wrong, but I want to explore all possibilities first before sending it back for a replacement

My onboard sound, when master and wave sliders are set to max, sounds full volume (CD player sort of level), but the 0404 sounds nowhere near it

I've tried changing all volume sliders in PatchMix. If somebody could perhaps compare full volume of a different sound card to the EMU0404, that would be a huge help, and would say whether it's just me with the problem

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 13
hmm you've got me - i don't have experience with the digital out at all, so i don't know if it's a problem or not that the digital out and analog out are different strengths - it could be that the digital out is being converted by your receiver into a hotter analog signal, but what do i know? anyhow with patchmix i use the WAV with direct in/out so my volume controls are unusable too (line out is just one volume) - to change a volume without using the amp i would change the volume at the program level - but i usually just keep them all on full blast and let the amp control volume.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattpwill
I want to use the line out of the EMU0404 to connect it to my hifi, but the master volume and wave volume sliders in Windows XP are grayed out. Compared to any other source I've tried, including my motherboard integrated audio, it's really quiet. Is there a way to overcome this to get the full volume?

Thanks

What 'hifi' are you trying to connect it too?

What kind of digital cable are you using? How long is it?

You should not use the windows volume controls, you could have those setup wrong if you were playing with those, double check your control panel for sounds and audio devices, and check the volume for the 0404.

Make sure you have the latest drivers and patchmix application installed, you should not have to adjust the volume at all, leave it at default levels, are you running any DSPs inyour media player? Volume controls etc? Comparing it to your onboard sound dosn't mean anything, how does the 0404 sound? What are you using for analog output to compare it too?

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 13
It seems that the volume slider in PatchMix is like a wave slider, so I think that I need to find out how to change the master slider for the card. If I can't find a way, I'll send it back, because it seems that others don't have any line out volume issues

Asmo - I've compared it to my analog CD players as well, and the sound isn't near the normal volume. I use optical SPDIF cable to my receiver, and it's pretty short (how does this matter?)

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 13
when you are pumping the music, does the clipping indicator show that the volume is going full strength? if so it very well might be an internal line out amping prob. but if the indicator shows low volume levels, it's on the comp side - meaning patchmix is probably just set up low on your end from a software point of view, and you need to pick a WAV/volume option that brings up the volume.

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattpwill
It shows full volume, ie in the red bit. I'm quite sure it's faulty, and I'll send it back. Thanks for the help

Hmm, yeah that doesn't sound right anymore. I'd send it back too. Sorry for your troubles, hope you get a good one next round!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back