Line out dock choices for iPod Nano 2g?
Jan 23, 2007 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

OakIris

1000+ Head-Fier
I haven't received my Nano yet, but would like to know which LODs are recommended for use with the Nano and a portable headphone amp. A lot of people here seem to like the ALO line out docks - (are these for the Nano or just for the "regular" iPods?) What other LODs should I take a look at? My budget is around $150-200 - cheaper, obviously, is better, I just want something that is sturdy and decent, I don't necessarily need "top of the line."
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

Jan 23, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 16
If you don't necessarily need "top of the line." This is a $15.00 solution, CompUSA and other places online, comes as dock to RCA,you can modify for stereo mini.

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=44

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 16
Although the $15 price tag for the nyko dock is appealing, I must admit I really like the looks of the ALO products, and some of them, such as the Vampire docks, are very reasonably priced and seem to impress a lot of folks here.

Any other suggestions?

Holly

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 16
TURBOs Turbo Diabolus V for 50$: Very low profile due to the relativly small and flexible cable, so great for portable use.

All cables from Qables: Great build quality, competitive prices and Hans's a pleasure to deal with (TURBOs too^^)

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 16
Second the info on Qables. I now own 4 of his iPod dock cables and they are delightful. The dock connector is super thin and the cable is covered in really nice techflex, you can get colors like red, blue or green as well as the typical white and black. The cable bends quite easily. The ALO cables are thicker and come prebent (some models), which is fine if you are going to place the pod and amp just like the cable requires. The Qables cable gives you more options.

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 16
Thank you for all of these suggestions. I will check them out. I really need to receive my Nano etc., first, to figure out what configuration/length of cable I need, but it is fun doing the research, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 16
Well, I have gone crazy and have purchased this LOD from Ken of ALO:
trickydock.jpg

I think it will very nicely complement my SE red Nano.

Ken was indeed very responsive and good to work with.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my thread.
icon10.gif

Holly

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have gone crazy and have purchased this LOD from Ken of ALO:
trickydock.jpg

I think it will very nicely complement my SE red Nano.

Ken was indeed very responsive and good to work with.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my thread.
icon10.gif

Holly

Sweet jesus! that looks amazing. Congrats on the new lod

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 16
That does look awsome... and I am stuck with my Sik Din. I wonder how much difference I would really notice to my total bithead. Anyone ever compare one of these to a Simple Sik Din or other budget cable?

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 16
I think the LOD looks wonderful, too! It was on Ken's (ALO's) "One Of A Kind" page, and as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it for my set up. It cost way more than I was hoping to spend ($175) but it was (barely) within my budget.

There have been so many positive comments about ALO cables here on head-fi that I couldn't resist giving one of Ken's LODs a try. I have far from golden ears, so I don't honestly know if I would be able to tell the difference between the $15 nyko offering and the ALO, (though I hope I would.
rolleyes.gif
)but I am trusting those who have a much better sense of good audio then I do.

Besides which, I think that equipment/components that is/are aesthetically beautiful just adds to the entire sensual experience of listening to good music.

Edit - I just received my Nano today. Quite a treat to look at. I am charging it now, and then I have to figure out how to get started with gathering an MP3 library....

Holly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back