~~Line Out¿
May 31, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #16 of 20
In the case of the iPod (3rd gen):

The EQ has nothing to do with whether it's a true line out or not - it all happens digitally before the DAC. That's why EQ affects iPod's true line-out.

Since volume setting do not affect the iPod line-out (and we must assume that there is only one DAC) we can conclude that the volume setting directly controls the analog section (after DAC) of the headphone amp - presumably it's just a digitally controlled crappy on-chip resistor array.

So I would say that it is pretty sub-optimal to run a top quality amp from the headphone jack of the iPod. And remember, the iPod does have a line-out on the unit - the plug is just a little non-standard
rolleyes.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #19 of 20
If you want to pick nits, the vast majority of PCDP's old and new actually feature 'true' line-outs in that they do conform to the absolute minimum specs laid down to qualify as a Line Out. In terms of electrical characteristics, the iMP-550 and the Sony D-NE900 for example, both of which are supposed to have 'pseudo line outs' actually does comform to the Line Out commonly recognised minimum standards.

Whether that is a 'true' line out in a modern perspective is something open to discussion. Practically all modern decks offer far more powerful outputs than this minimum spec, as do players like the iPod and the NJB3. Then there's the susceptibility of the signal being mucked about. How much processing does the signal go through as opposed to the headphone out on portables on the Line Out? Is it necessarily purer than the headphone out? etc.

Jun 2, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzo
Hey everyone, I was wondering if the Sony D-FJ61's line out is "true". Can anyone give me their experiences? Thank you very much :)

I actually used to have on in possession, it's on loan to one of my friends currently. The line-out on the Sony is real, but I didn't find the sound quality that much better than the headphone-out, frankly. They had the same characteristics except for the fact that one was affected by bass boost and volume control while the other wasn't. It still suffered from muddiness which was my main complaint with the PCDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back