Line Noise Solution?
Mar 24, 2008 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

thejoseph

New Head-Fier
I'm a n00b, so I apologize in advance for any vocabulary blasphemy. I searched the forums and couldn't find the answer to this question, hell, I'm new so I don't even know if I'm in the right forum. But anywho:

I have an iPod with Shure E3's. I love the sound I get, but when I'm in a quiet room they're actually too loud even with the volume down all the way. And when the volume is down all the way, there's quite a bit of line noise--throw an attenuator into the mix and it's really distracting. So I'm looking for a solution. Would I get better results if I used a headphone amplifier for my volume rather than the iPod itself?

- The n00bseph.

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 7
If you don't want to use an attenuator, you're SOL. More blasphemy: get a Zune, they're dead quiet.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejoseph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
throw an attenuator into the mix and it's really distracting.

What do you mean? The physical presence of an attenuator is distracting?

Quote:

Would I get better results if I used a headphone amplifier for my volume rather than the iPod itself?

A headphone amp in general should be able to stop this issue, but with an IEM like the E3c it will be harder to do. I think it would be a waste of money to get an amp for the E3c, especially since I don't think they benefit much from amping from my experience.

I used to use an attenuator but I have gotten used to the hissing. I can't even notice it when I'm on the bus or train with music playing anyway. At home if I want to listen at low volume, an attenuator is a must.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't want to use an attenuator, you're SOL. More blasphemy: get a Zune, they're dead quiet.

Do the 4/8gb flash zunes have similar sound quality to it's HD counterpart?

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Depending on your circumstances, you might be better off buying another pair of headphones to use when it is quiet. Although, for me, the issue comes up in the library: it is quiet, I'm not going to carry 2 headphones, and I want the IEM isolation. The answer? Well. Um. iPod Touch has far less amplifier noise than my Nano 2G. :) I guess my point is: before dropping $300 on an amplifier, consider what alternatives you have to meet your goals.

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 7
I personally find iPod lineout->headphone amps->IEM to be quite loud, and pretty hard to control the volume, I had only about 10% space to adjust before my ears start to bleed in sorrow. A good portable amp such as SM4 or Tomahawk does eliminate any background noise though. And to be honest, they sound wayy better than straight out of iPod headphone out (where are my highs?!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back