Line Noise Issue with an Amp; Options to fix this?
Jul 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LastQuestion

New Head-Fier
Okay, so the device giving me trouble is the Astro A40 Mixamp, as seen here. What I'm attempting to do with it is capture audio via the headset port by attaching a 3.5mm cable from it to my Xonar STXs mic port. The eventual goal is to use a splitter to bring audio to both headset and the STXs mic in order to capture game chat+audio for video I'm capturing with my cap card from my Xbox 360.

However, currently I'm getting terrible line noise from the audio coming from the 3.5mm stereo cable to my STXs mic port. In addition to this I get the same line noise when connecting my A40s mic out port to the mic in on the STX. Needless to say this prevents any useful capture of audio.

To isolate the problem I've done a multitude of tests. I'll outline and post them at the bottom for those who desire to fully understand the situation. In addition I've uploaded some recordings to SoundCloud which I will link.

Needless to say the conclusion from all the tests are that the line noise is produced from the Mixamp, and it is not audible when listening through Headphones such as the A40s/HD555s.

I would like to know what options I have in reducing this line noise. I've read that ferrite cores can help but that they can also reduce sound quality for most all setups. This would not be much of an issue to me however, as the recorded audio would be uploaded to youtube/twitch.tv. What has me confused and uncertain is that there seem to be many different kinds of ferrite cores that prevent EMI/RFI at different frequencies and I have no clue whatsoever which thresholds I should opt for in this scenario, or any for that matter, as my technical understanding of audio is quite limited.

I attempted to locally procure some ferrite chokes on Saturday only to run out of time. I tried two music stores who sell high-end audio equipment to no avail. I then tried a close-by Radio Shack in a last ditch effort. They only had the small version of the choke which did not fit around the 3.5mm cable. I used the website to locate stores with the 5mm models in stock, called them, and they told me that they were not compatible for use with analogue stereo signals. So, here I am, uncertain of which options to consider, which parts to order, or even which line of research to pursue to begin understanding this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Steps I Took to Isolate Source of Line Noise​

Note, I am using W7-64 Ultimate, which I clean installed last week for performance and as prep for installing the BMIP. I have been observing the line noise via 'monitor this device' and recording in Audacity with & w/o monitoring enabled. Also note that when using the A40 headset or my HD555s no line noise is audible from them, while it is still present via the 3.5mm->STX. For testing with the headsets I tested with a splitter so that I could hear with the headset and still output to the STX.

I first tried a second 6ft 3.5mm stereo cable. I then tried a third 8ft 3.5mm stereo cable. I then attached different 3.5mm->6.3mm adapters. I then detached the USB that normally powers the device and used some AAs for power. The last two cables rested upon my lap, while the first (10ft) is routed behind my desk to the PC.

After this I detached everything but the Toslink coming from my 360. I then detached the Toslink as well. I also happened to have a second Mixamp at hand(two sets of A40 audio systems). The problem was, iirc, more pronounced on my backup Mixamp.

In all of the above I also attempted to use the motherboards mic port. The line noise was present when utilizing it for capture as well.

I have tweaked just about every setting available in the Xonars Utility menu as well as options in Windows 7s Sound panel. Turning off the Mic Boost reduces the issue, but it is still quite noticeable. Doing so also reduces the volume of the capture a great deal. Turning off mic boost results in the mic from the A40s via it's mic out port becoming inaudible.

After all of the above I then started detaching my other USB devices and ethernet. After this I then removed the capture card(Intensity Pro - PCIe x4 interface). After this I changed the PCIe slot my Xonar STX was in. I then removed the STX and attempted once again to use the motherboards mic in slot. For reference, the motherboard is the Asus p8z68-v Gen 3, Realtek drivers are not installed. I then reassembled my PC :p.

*Deep Breath*. The next step, or rather, steps I have taken in conjunction with all of the above at different times within those actions, was to test the capture of other devices through the STX. Mic boost was enabled for all of these tests. My Zalman clip-on mic which is attached to my AD700s does not have any line noise. Audio carried via the same mediabridge 3.5mm cable I've used the most throughout testing from a laptop to the STX mic port also did not present line noise. I also tried to test an mp3 player, but it was not..stable. I did receive some audio enough to hear that it also did not have line noise.

In a half-assed effort I detached all power cables from my surge protector power strip except for the PSU powering the PC.

As a result of the above steps, it is clear (to me at least) the A40 Mixamp is producing the line noise.

SoundCloud

P.S. Polz Halp

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 3
Your soundcloud link sounds like clipping to me, is that the noise you're talking about?

Try lowering the main source volume, if that doesn't work try a 75ohm impedance adapter.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks you for responding. So, I've since progressed in resolving this issue. I've taken care of that specific line noise, only to be left with a different kind of <a href="http://soundcloud.com/lastquestion/lownoise">noise</a>. It sounds like it's a power issue that the mobo cannot correct for, but the soundcard can. Further testing has lead to the realization that when the Mixamp is powered by batteries and the coax/usb disconnected the line-noise is almost completely gone. I have to increase the db a great deal and even then the noise is a rather uniform static. Much improved. Connecting either the USB or Coax would cause the noise heard in that recording to return. What's even more peculiar is that when powered by USB the more cables I connect from the Mixamp to the STX the quieter it gets.

I'm at a loss as how to really approach this situation to isolate the cause of the current issue. Could it be the power from the house? The PSU itself, even though reviews put the HX850 as one the best there is in DC output. I really just don't know what to do currently to figure this out, other than buying equipment that is. I've been looking at a line conditioner from APC, but I'd need another power strip for other devices, and they don't recommend piggy backing, so I've read. Would it even be advisable to connect voltage regulator and surge protector to the same outlet? sigh. If it's the PSU, then ferrites on the 24-pin/PCIe cables should do okay right? Just no idea what hz/Ohm ferrite would be suitable and that seems like necessary info. I also have to consider that perhaps my house isn't even grounded properly ><

The amount of information necessary to resolve this problem is just so overwhelming and finding out which information to spend time absorbing is half the battle. I'm just getting so stressed over this as attempting to resolve this has been taking up almost all my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back