Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Colleagues
Mar 25, 2008 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sebastian589

500+ Head-Fier
I was recently visiting my grandparents and stumbled upon their record collection and found these gems. My grandfather bought the series of LP's after hearing them at his favorite record store in the 70's and next to his Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong records these records are his favorites (if you knew the man you would understand the weight of that statement). I I played them on his old Thorens turntable hooked up to an old Sony receiver and speaker set and within ten seconds I was in love. The sound quality is absolutely stunning, the clarity and soundstage are top notch, mind you this is on an unimpressive audio setup. The album was recorded with the help of Sheffield Lab, using a direct to disc recording method which requires each side of the LP be played all the way through in a single take. The musicians are fantastic and the jazzy covers of the songs are amazing.

There are three Volumes in the series, I have only heard the second and third but both were fantastic. If and when I buy a vinyl rig this will be the first record played on it, simply superb

If you just invested big bucks in a vinyl rig this record will justify the money spent before your first listen through. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a great sounding LP

EDIT: After doing some extra research I've discovered Sheffield Labs released these on CD, even the CD's are rare but I bought a copy in "great condition, no scratches" for 20 USD. My day has been made
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 3
I have multiple copies of both volume 2 & 3, as well as several other Sheffield Lab releases (Leinsdorf Wagner, Amanda McBroom, etc.). They're really well recorded- great sound. I searched for many years, but I never found a copy of volume 1. I don't think they ever really hit the stores.

See ya
Steve

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was recently visiting my grandparents and stumbled upon their record collection and found these gems. My grandfather bought the series of LP's after hearing them at his favorite record store in the 70's and next to his Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong records these records are his favorites (if you knew the man you would understand the weight of that statement). I I played them on his old Thorens turntable hooked up to an old Sony receiver and speaker set and within ten seconds I was in love. The sound quality is absolutely stunning, the clarity and soundstage are top notch, mind you this is on an unimpressive audio setup. The album was recorded with the help of Sheffield Lab, using a direct to disc recording method which requires each side of the LP be played all the way through in a single take. The musicians are fantastic and the jazzy covers of the songs are amazing.

There are three Volumes in the series, I have only heard the second and third but both were fantastic. If and when I buy a vinyl rig this will be the first record played on it, simply superb

If you just invested big bucks in a vinyl rig this record will justify the money spent before your first listen through. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a great sounding LP

EDIT: After doing some extra research I've discovered Sheffield Labs released these on CD, even the CD's are rare but I bought a copy in "great condition, no scratches" for 20 USD. My day has been made
smily_headphones1.gif

I have 1 and 3 on cds. They are true gems. As a rule as I recalled these were cut in live sessions. At least the first one was. I love em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back