Limits on signatures
Dec 30, 2002 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Simple poll. If you like signatures to be as long as people want and any size they want, vote No. If you want the size to be forced small and a line limit (say 5 lines, for example) in the signature, vote Yes.

Dec 30, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 48
i would like everyone to use size 1 but i don't think it should be made a rule.

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 48
I think obsessing over signature/avatars/etc. moves away from the purpose and value of these forums to discuss headphones, music, and the meaning of life. I pretty comfortable (gasp!) leaving all the "cult of personality" parameters up to Jude.

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 48
ironically kelly, your new signature is the only one I've seen that would cause a problem. There are some long signatures on this board, but they're the exception and not the rule. for the most part, people seem to be pretty sensible about the length of their signatures. I've seen forums where it most definitely was a problem, but I don't see one here yet. Is it really something that we need to have regulated?

I'm not disagreeing with you persay, I'm just playing devil's advocate.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 48
I like my signature as it is...

Is mine one of the problem ones
confused.gif
confused.gif

[Edit]

Not any more... cos i've deleted it

[/Edit]

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 48
I'll vote yes, as I take it this is some sort of pre-emptive strike. Normal posting size should probably be the max for sigs. Number of lines, say five or ten max. That should keep them from being terribly distracting, w/o limiting creativity or customizability too much.

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 48
Duncan
Ideally, I'd suggest size=1 and a limit of 5 lines -- just my opinion.

Neruda
There are definitely a few that I find annoying. But since it's all subjective, maybe some folks will like my new sig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 48
Just to clairify, I'm not interested in new policy. I'm interested in a small change to the software that would force all signatures to font size 1 and truncate anything beyond 5 lines long.

You may not know this but you're already limited in this way in your profile. It's funny to me that the profile has size limits but not signatures.

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 48
That could be custom-coded in vBulletin, but it's admittedly not going to be a high priority right now on the Head-Fi technical to-do list, as it's already quite backed up.

All I ask, at this time, is that the members use their best judgment (hopefully that's good enough in most cases
wink.gif
), and create reasonable signatures. I've seen some that are quite huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back