Limits of 'phones for MP3s
Mar 9, 2006 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stewgriff

500+ Head-Fier
I'll admit...I enjoy music, but in some of the crappiest ways possible. Most of my MP3's are in 128-192 kbps bitrates, with some fortunate jazz recordings in the 256 zone. Unfortunately, I can't rerip these files, due to most of them coming from the iTunes store. What is the best headphone class that can avoid ripping the crap out of these lowly files? I'm not actually buying anything soon (continued noob love of HD 497's and no money), but I'd like to know the point at which low MP3 files can be enjoyed with maximum sound quality.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 4
"Crackles" are more likely a result of a bad rip than a bad encoding job.

Stewgrif, you'll get a million different opinions in response to your question, but they're all wrong because the only opinion that matters is yours. And the only way to find out what you think is to listen and compare.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Well lame codec was designed to give cd quality sound at the preset -alt preset standard which is now changed to preset -V 3, I believe. Use these settings in EAC or app that accepts lame codec command lines.

That translates to about 192-220vbr or if you use cbr perhaps about 256cbr would give you the smallest file with best sound. In general of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually was not sure what your asking but if your asking what headphones will sound the best with your audio files at the low bitrates. I would say Can's that are not overly detailed. Perhaps low end Senns as their warmth tends to mask flaws in mp3's Maybe HD555 and below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back