Limited room: Should I get the Audioengine A5?
May 24, 2010 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Liquidus

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a 2.0/2.1 speaker set and have read good things about the Audioengine A5. However, I would have to put them on my desk which is set against the wall, while the manual recommends setting them 6-12in away from the wall. Should I still get the A5s or would it be a waste? Would getting MoPads help? I'm looking for around $300 or lower, only self powered computer speakers. Thanks.

edit: I originally thought it was 6 feet, but it's actually 6 inches, which I think I can manage.

May 24, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 3
6 feet from the wall?  6 inches more likely as a minimum.  But even at that rear ported speakers don't like being near a wall.  Much better to go with front ported speakers if you have space constraints.

I have rear ported speakers on my desk.  They're 8" monitors and bigger means they want to be farther from the wall.  I have them about a foot from the wall with a 4" thick acoustic panel behind them and they're still too close to the wall.  The acoustic panels do help.

Some suggestions for front ported studio monitors:
KRK RP5G2
Wharfedale DP8.1A
Wharfedale DP8.2A

The Wharfedale's would be interesting.  They're new to ZZounds.  I would have considered them when I was looking for speakers but the Wharfedale's weren't easy to get in the USA at that time.

With studio monitors you'll need some sort of external volume control for them.  A used pre-amp would work.  Or a stereo mixer, or a passive volume knob. 

May 25, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 3
I have the A5's in my home office, placed 12' from the rear wall, sitting on a coffee table, six feet in front of my desk, with Vibrapods underneath the speakers. They are angled upwards by the front Vibrapods. I use the AE W2 iPod wireless device and/or a cable connected to a hotaudio USB DAC that connects to my laptop.

As a long time music/audio lover I was shocked at how good the A5's sound. For $345 they are a bargain.

I had experimented a lot with placement and found the rear ported design problematic unless I placed the speakers away from the back as well as side walls. Tilting them upwards also made a big improvement in the sound. If I had them on speakers stands or a higher sofa-type table I am sure tilting them upwards would not have been necessary.

If you can manage the 6 to 12" inches the speakers need to be from the wall then I would suggest buying them. If not, I would recommend the A2's as they meet your criteria- self-powered but front ported.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back