Limited options for ear pads/cushions
Aug 25, 2016 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Napalmhardcore

100+ Head-Fier
I have deliberately posted here as opposed to the help and recommendations thread as this is not me asking for advice. This is intended to be a discussion about something I see as being a problem in the world of headphones.

I've tried Googling and searching forums on and off for various different headphones over the past couple of years and something has come to my attention. There are very few options for ear pads/cushions, even for popular models (Sennheiser HD series for example). For example, you'd think that someone would offer leather/synthetic leather pads for the HD600s etc, but aside from some no name Ebay listings, user mods and limited custom runs on forums like this one, there is nothing. Pretty much all replacement ear pads/cushions are clones of the manufacturer's genuine pads at varying price/quality levels.

The majority of headphones (or at least many of the models I'm interested in) seem to use either leather/synthetic leather or velour type material. I appreciate that these are tried and tested materials but both have problems. Leather/synthetic leather does not breathe and can stick to you on hot days. Velour and other similar materials are dust and fluff magnets.

Despite not being a particularly good headset, I used to own a Turtle Beach PX21 which had a cloth mesh (the Logitech G430 which makes it easier to see what I'm talking about looks like it uses a similar material, though I've not felt it so I can't be sure). While I've seen one or two complaints by people that found them "scratchy", personally I found them perfect. They offered a similar level of comfort to velour pads, were more breathable and didn't attract fluff and dust. I know many audio enthusiasts scoff at gaming headsets, but one area where they are innovating or at very least experimenting that headphones are not is with their earpads.

Sports manufacturers are constantly experimenting with the aim of using materials that are both comfortable and breathable. These are two points that make for a desirable ear pad material too. I personally feel like there is a gap in the market and/or that headphone manufacturers could possibly look into using other materials/offering a choice.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Do you feel satisfied with the way things are currently, or do you feel there is room for improvement? What do you think would be a good material for ear pads/cushions and are there any existing headphones that come with leather/synthetic leather that you'd like to have velour/another material for or vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back