Like the UM2's but better?
Mar 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AndrewF

100+ Head-Fier
I've had a pair of UM2's for about 3 years now, and really, really like them. Even though I have a Tomahawk, I tend to use the UM2's straight from my 2G Shuffle for daily exercise, and they sound pretty damn good even that way (although not as good as with the Nano-lineout-Tomahawk setup). They're great exercise IEM's- great bass, and low enough impedance to get loud enough from just the Shuffle.

They've gotten a bit worn lately, though, and I've starting looking for other IEM's. I was waiting for the Westone 3, but that's obviously not happening in our lifetimes. So, I bought a pair of Sleek SA-6's, which I haven't been totally thrilled with. The Sleeks are great sounding IEM's, particularly in the midrange and treble, but they are not perhaps the best exercise IEM's in the world- the bass is a bit lacking even with the bass + port, and they don't get as loud as the UM2's. I use the largest biflanges and get a superb seal, so that's not the issue.

I'm thinking I will probably keep the Sleeks to use with the Nano-Tomahawk setup, since I tend to use that for travel, when I am typically am listening to somewhat different music, with a different focus.

So, I'm wondering if there is another IEM out there with a sound signature similar to the UM2, but with perhaps slightly better highs. I know I can just get another UM2, but the ones I have aren't dead yet, and I like trying new ones.

What universal (no Livewires, UE 10 or 11 please) would be a step up from the UM2's, not just a step sideways?

Andrew

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 5
Don't bother with the 530s. I tried a pair out after two years or so with UM2s out of curiosity and was disappointed. Very similar sound, but highs were even more rolled off the cable is unbearable after Westone.

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 5
you could always try for a dynammik based phone like the atrio m5. i went from um2 to er4s and then spent a slippery time with the e500 and finally sold the ones i owned after hearing the atrio m5. its cable is not as nice as um2 but is much nicer than the e500 and certainly than the er4s.

they have a more natural bass than the um2 as they sound more like what we have always heard: speakers. i am very very susceptable to the weird presentation of high sounds from armature designs so i have had to drop them.

the atrio m5 have more resolution in the low end than any other phone i have tried even the e500. they are a bit more sterile sounding however, not sweetening up the mids like the um2 and e500 do. i suppose i would call them the sort of monitor sound amoung iems.

highs are rolled off as with all of them but they do extend much further than um2. with um2 i could not hear those test signals that went up over 18 000 hz but with atrio i could.

if you enjoy say, the sound of the hd600, then the atrio are probably a good one for you. nothing is sweetened or chocolate covered but it sounds great.

the only complaint i have with them is to do with the housing. dynammics react a bit more to housing so if the plastic is not hard enough or not damped enough, strange echoes are sometimes present. for me, the high bass or mid mids sometimes echoe plastic when listening to fast music that is bass driven.

i listen to trance: that happened all the time. the um2 however were a little too slow in the bass and the mids a bit too sweet, so they made trance seem like a mickey mouse parade with synthesizers.

the atrio are also much cheaper, i think they can be shipped to you for about 160$ or so if you live in the states for instance. in japan, i can buy them for 220$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back